glutenfreegirl

Food Intolerance Question ?

Rate this topic

Hi, can anyone tell me, do you think our individual food intolerance is because of our damaged intestine or because of our blood type? I just read a book called eat right for your blood type and I am now more confussed than ever??...advice and opinions please

Hi, can anyone tell me, do you think our individual food intolerance is because of our damaged intestine or because of our blood type? I just read a book called eat right for your blood type and I am now more confussed than ever??...advice and opinions please

I vote for damaged intestines, which allowed undigested proteins to leak into my blood and form antibodies. I suspect I had undiagnosed celiac over 30 years. I know I didn't have all these allergies/intolerances when I was in my 20s. The food sensitivities got worse over the years, while I had undiagnosed celiac disease. After my celiac disease diagnosis and then diagnoses of 6 other food allergy/intolerances, I have not developed any new food sensitivities. So I suspect abstaining from gluten and letting my gut heal prevented development of new allergies.

I vote for damaged intestines, I suspect I had undiagnosed celiac over 30 years. I know I didn't have all these allergies/intolerances when I was in my 20s.

Ahhh, good point... Never looked at it that way....thank you

I vote for leaky gut syndrome, the leaky gut being caused by gluten. It lets through larger molecules of partially digested food which our bodies do not recognize and the autoimmune system attacks them as non-self. The food(s) you become intolerant to tend to be those you eat the most of. Healing the leaky gut prevents these undigested foods from getting through and setting off the autoimmune reactions. Sometimes we can again eat those foods that we were formerly intolerant of in their partially digested state.

I read somewhere this week (though exactly where escapes me) that the villi in the small intestine that are blunted by a gluten diet if you celiac have issues with digesting other things such as dairy. The tips of the villi is where lactase is absorbed and if it can't do that because the villi are blunted, well, that's how you become lactose intolerant. It made so much sense to me because twice in my life, I've been lactose intolerant (severely), but then it went away. While lactose intolerant I would avoid even bread because it was made with dairy and cause my belly to knot up. I probably avoided enough gluten that my intestine had a chance to heal enough for me to eat dairy again.

Bear in mind that I haven't been officially diagnosed with Celiac yet, so this is all speculation anyway.

i vote both. plus i bet there are even more reasons for additional food intolerance.... like SIBO, a recent H Pylori infection, LOW Stomach acid, etc...

i recently learned this week that Hypothyroid patients tend to have LOW stomach acid- which makes perfect sense now- with all the problems with digestion my mother and i have had. and my Endo prescribed me prescription strenth Zantac :huh:

I vote for leaky gut syndrome, the leaky gut being caused by gluten. It lets through larger molecules of partially digested food which our bodies do not recognize and the autoimmune system attacks them as non-self. The food(s) you become intolerant to tend to be those you eat the most of. Healing the leaky gut prevents these undigested foods from getting through and setting off the autoimmune reactions. Sometimes we can again eat those foods that we were formerly intolerant of in their partially digested state.

Yes, this is it exactly.

i vote both. plus i bet there are even more reasons for additional food intolerance.... like SIBO, a recent H Pylori infection, LOW Stomach acid, etc...

i recently learned this week that Hypothyroid patients tend to have LOW stomach acid- which makes perfect sense now- with all the problems with digestion my mother and i have had. and my Endo prescribed me prescription strenth Zantac :huh:

Ahha, I too have hashi and did nt know that...I have had terrible stomach pain and bloat this week!! Thanks for that info...

Thank you all for your thoughts ....

Ahha, I too have hashi and did nt know that...I have had terrible stomach pain and bloat this week!! Thanks for that info...

Thank you all for your thoughts ....

ahhh, then u might want to look into helping your stomach with the acid problem... you could start with just a little Betaine HCI w/ Pepsin, and Digestive Enzymes. start with just 1 of the Betaine HCI, (you wanna proceed with caution- as these are almost identical to stomach acid.

some people cannot tolerate the Betaine at all- so they are encouraged to try Apple Cider vinegar

maybe if you get your stomach working properly, some of these additional intolerances will disappear. ??

ahhh, then u might want to look into helping your stomach with the acid problem... you could start with just a little Betaine HCI w/ Pepsin, and Digestive Enzymes. start with just 1 of the Betaine HCI, (you wanna proceed with caution- as these are almost identical to stomach acid.

some people cannot tolerate the Betaine at all- so they are encouraged to try Apple Cider vinegar

maybe if you get your stomach working properly, some of these additional intolerances will disappear. ??

I have been reading up since I read your post....it sounds like me and all my symptoms...but it said low acid and high acid have the same symptoms..I wonder how we know the difference ...my GP gave me antacids the other day I have not yet taken them, maybe I shouldn't...

I have been reading up since I read your post....it sounds like me and all my symptoms...but it said low acid and high acid have the same symptoms..I wonder how we know the difference ...my GP gave me antacids the other day I have not yet taken them, maybe I shouldn't...

its so complicated. i think we get acid reflux with LOW stomach acid- because that esophageal sphincter may loosen when you have LOW stomach acid- and then the little acid you have escapes up into the esophagus. in theory- if the stomach has adequate stomach acid- then that sphincter would naturally clamp down to keep the acid inside. does that make sense? it IS 3:30 in the mrning :/

there is a test- but it's like over 300$. i had it years ago. the Heidelberg test. it measures your stomach acid, and emptying time.

i, personally would never take an antacid unless i was in the middle of an ulcer- especially at night.

also- i read that melatonin helps to strengthen that sphincter so it will stay "shut". ??