Raebies

Remedies For Recovering From A Glutening

Rate this topic

Just a quick background, I'm gluten intolerant (maybe have celiac) I've been gluten free for almost 9 months now. I glutened myself accidentally on Monday and Tuesday. I forgot to check the ingredients on a package of lunch meat and it had caramel color in it (stupid, I know). Today, I'm feeling somewhat better, but I'm still in a fog, somewhat headachey and still fatigued. I'm trying to find remedies to help me with the symptoms. The ones I have tried so far, drinking extra unsweetened, caffienated tea, eating more carbs for quick energy, drinking more water, and downing Emergen-C to get extra B vitamins in my system.

Does anyone else have any remedies they use to get over a glutening or just ease the symptoms? This time the fatigue and the headache are worse than my gut sypmtoms.

Also, should I power through my fatigue to do my normal work outs or should I rest until the fatigue goes away?

In the US & Canada, carmel color containing gluten is a celiac myth.

It's the only thing I ate that was different from my normal diet.

In any case, do you have any remedies?

The Unsafe Ingredients list on THIS site lists caramel color as a questionable ingredient (http://www.celiac.com/articles/182/1/Unsafe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Unsafe-Ingredients/Page1.html)

The following items may or may not contain gluten depending on where and how they are made, and it is sometimes necessary to check with the manufacturer to find out:

Artificial Color4

baking powder4

Caramel Color1, 3

Caramel Flavoring1, 3

Clarifying Agents4

The list doesn't say anything about this not being true for the US or Canada

I feel badly too when I ingest caramel color, not my usual dizziness but yukky stomach. Perhaps it's affecting you because it's nothing but adulterated corn syrup and your system is becoming picky. Or perhaps you have other sensitivies. Anyway, maybe a little pepto bismal and/or activated charcoal tablets, and a good bit of healthy water? That's worked for me in the past.

Something I've found works well is just aspirin, it cuts down the inflamation and eases to discomfort a bit. Besides that, keep your diet simple for a few days. Things that also seem to work for me are drinking ginger ale, and eating nuts... We all seem to personalize this though, so who knows what will work best for you?

Hope you feel well soon!

Several things have worked for me. Lots of water to try to flush the system, pepto bismol for the tummy aches and/or L-glutamine powder. Activated charcol and or tylenol. And laying down trying to sleep it away.