Rate this topic

I just bought a jar of Tout Naturel Organic Peanut Butter. All that's in it is organic peanuts and lecithin. However, I googled lecithin just to make sure it was safe to eat, and I came across a website that said that lecithin could be derived from soy or from wheat, but on another website, it listed lecithin as a "safe" food. Could anyone give me any information regarding whether lecithin is "safe" or not?

If I could find the contact information for Tout Naturel, I would call them and ask them whether it's made from wheat or soy, but unfortunately, I can't find any information. Has anyone tried Tout Naturel Organic Peanut Butter and had any problems?

Also, could you suggest any gluten free peanut butters that you know of?

Oops, I accidentally posted this in the wrong section.

I use Safeway's Old Fashioned Peanut Butter. It's ingredient list is thus: Peanuts. That's it. I am also wondering about lecithin, I have simply been avoiding it to save time, but if some is okay then I might put in some effort as maybe there are some chocolate bars that I can eat again. Man I miss chocolate.

I use Safeway's Old Fashioned Peanut Butter. It's ingredient list is thus: Peanuts. That's it. I am also wondering about lecithin, I have simply been avoiding it to save time, but if some is okay then I might put in some effort as maybe there are some chocolate bars that I can eat again. Man I miss chocolate.

Thanks, I'll try and find that brand. I think soy lecithin is ok, unless you have a soy intolerance. I found a topic about soy lecithin posted on this board in my search to see whether lecithin is safe. It would be nice if Tout Naturel listed "soy lecithin" if the lecithin they use is soy derived - it would make my life so much easier.

And I know what you mean about missing chocolate. I don't even know when the last time I ate chocolate was.

Lecithin is usually made from soy, sometimes sunflower oil. If you're in the US and anything is made from wheat, it must list "wheat" on the allergy disclosure.

Scott has Lecithin on the safe list and he's pretty careful researching.

http://www.celiac.com/articles/181/1/Safe-Gluten-Free-Food-List-Safe-Ingredients/Page1.html

Hi, xxkristin,

In the US, wheat is a top-eight allergen under federal law (FALCPA) so if the lecithin is from wheat, the word "wheat" must appear on the label. Permitted forms are:

Wheat Lecithin;

Lecithin (Wheat);

or, a "Contains: Wheat" statement adjacent to the ingredients list.

In Canada, regulations designate wheat as a "priority allergen." The labeling rules are the same as the US: the word "wheat" must appear on the label in one of the above forms.

If wheat is not listed on the label, it is reasonable to assume that the source is soy. Soy is also a designated allergen in Canada and the US, so if it is soy lecithin then the word "soy" must appear on the label in a manner similar to that described above for wheat.

Thanks psawyer and Skylark.

I'm in Canada, so that's good to know about them having to put "wheat" on the label - I wasn't sure if that applied in Canada.

However, the frustrating thing is, that the label on the peanut butter only says lecithin - nothing about soy or wheat. I guess I'll just have to return it and buy a different brand.

Thanks, I'll try and find that brand. I think soy lecithin is ok, unless you have a soy intolerance. I found a topic about soy lecithin posted on this board in my search to see whether lecithin is safe. It would be nice if Tout Naturel listed "soy lecithin" if the lecithin they use is soy derived - it would make my life so much easier.

And I know what you mean about missing chocolate. I don't even know when the last time I ate chocolate was.

I can't have soy either :( and from the rest of the comments on here, looks like chocolate remains out until I find a super expensive pure chocolate.

I can't have soy either :( and from the rest of the comments on here, looks like chocolate remains out until I find a super expensive pure chocolate.

As I am diabetic, I don't eat chocolate as a rule. But I understand that there are are some which have neither soy nor barley. Along with soy, watch carefully for malt flavor in chocolate as a sweetener.

When I was soy-free/cow casein-free I made hot cocoa in goat's milk with Hershey's powder. If you're feeling brave, I found this allergen-free fudge recipe on a Google search.

http://www.cybelepascal.com/?p=2206