This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ex Gluten Test Strips?

StephanieL

StephanieL Enthusiast

At big expense, we have now wasted 2 of these strips.

In an effort to test the very few things my DS eats that aren't said to be gluten-free or confirmed with manufactures, we ordered these strips as a last resort.

1) There was no information on the web site we ordered from that heat was an issue with these strips. The sat out in the 90* heat all day and then on a shelf in the house over the weekend. When I opened them on Sunday night (they were delivered on Friday), there was a "Keep under 77* sticker on them. Nice to know now.

2) I called and was told they needed to be refrigerated. I explained the issues with the heat and them having been left outside and they said it wouldn't alter the test results which I find hard to believe.

3) I tried out a strip and there was no markings on it after the test time. They claim "results in 10 minutes" which is a joke! It takes a MINIMUM of 23 minutes to get the most accurate results.

4) I retested with a "supervisor" to be sure I didn't misread something along the way. Again, no test results.

I have emailed customer service twice now and called once with no response. There is only one place that makes these strips and I feel that they have let me down in a big way for a big price. It was $60 for 5 of these strips, 2 of which were totally wasted. I am not convinced that there was an issue because of the heat.

Anyone else have issues with this company?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I haven't tried the strips. I didn't know they existed?

It sounds like the heat may have done something to them..due to it taking so long for a reading?

I just wanted to say..I'm sorry for your frustration. I think if there's any doubt about a food's safety..I'd just not let the child have it?

StephanieL Enthusiast

I do understand the "don't feed it" but with the limited diet my kids have it is a matter of using what I can to get them to eat anything. I never doubted these products (nothing in the labeling makes me think they are unsafe) but we have had issues with levels not dropping so there are a few food that we haven't gotten confirmation on so we were going to test those few.

StephanieL Enthusiast

I didn't re-read before posting.

That should be EZ Gluten test strips.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

What were you testing that gave you the blank strip? Some items don't test well. I have used them a lot.

StephanieL Enthusiast

What were you testing that gave you the blank strip? Some items don't test well. I have used them a lot.

It was commercial mustard. I just rested a regular cookie and the strip worked. So it appears it's the mustard specifically that is the issue. Thing is, I emailed them prior to ordering asked specifically if I could test mustard and they said YES. I will call for a refund for those tests because of that. I am upset as I still don't know if the mustard is an issue.

StephanieL Enthusiast

I have gotten in contact with the company and they are really working with me on this to figure out what is up. It seems to have to do with the thickness of what I was testing. They have given me new instructions after speaking with the scientists and we will try again after final confirmation that this is the issue. They are also sending me out replacements for the strips that were "wasted".

Took a bit of time because the woman who deals with the web inquires was at a trade show but since she got back the customer service has been top notch!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived