come dance with me

Birthday Party Food

Rate this topic

I can't find a decent cake recipe for a gluten free vegan birthday cake!

The other food is taken care of:

Mini pizzas

Chocolate crackles

Fruit kebabs

Chips

Lollies

Platter of vegetable sticks with rice crackers and dip

But the birthday cake isn't working out so well :(

I've never made one gluten free before and it won't raise!

What's your favourite vegan recipe for a gluten free cake?

• Upvote 1

I can't find a decent cake recipe for a gluten free vegan birthday cake!

The other food is taken care of:

Mini pizzas

Chocolate crackles

Fruit kebabs

Chips

Lollies

Platter of vegetable sticks with rice crackers and dip

But the birthday cake isn't working out so well :(

I've never made one gluten free before and it won't raise!

What's your favourite vegan recipe for a gluten free cake?

I tried this cake, once, and it was FABULOUS the second day and thereafter. I used coconut milk in place of the milk. I would imagine you could sub light tasting olive oil for the mayonnaise and whatever you normally sub for the eggs. There were 120 comments, so you could go to the website and possibly find a comment from someone who did it vegan. Just a thought. My batter was thick.

Gluten-Free Yellow Cake

By: Amy

"Basic and easy, and very versatile. Layer with white or chocolate frosting, strawberries and whipped cream, etc. Make sure your baking powder is gluten-free."

Rate/Review | Read Reviews (120)

Ingredients

• 1 1/2 cups white rice flour (Mix with the milk. Set aside.)

• 3/4 cup tapioca flour

• 1 teaspoon salt

• 1 teaspoon baking soda

• 3 teaspoons baking powder

• 1 teaspoon xanthan gum

• 4 eggs

• 1 1/4 cups white sugar

• 2/3 cup mayonnaise

• 1 cup milk

• 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and rice flour two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans.

2. Mix the white rice flour, tapioca flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and xanthan gum together and set aside.

3. Mix the eggs, sugar, and mayonnaise until fluffy. Add the flour mixture, milk and vanilla and mix well. Spread batter into the prepared pans.

4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes. Cakes are done when they spring back when lightly touched or when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool completely then frost, if desired.

Amount Per Serving Calories: 154 | Total Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 38mg Powered by ESHA Nutrient Database

COMMENTS that I thought were interesting:

I took another reviewers suggestion and added the milk to the rice flour while I combined the other ingredients. It lost 90% of it's graininess. Great suggestion.

This recipe works out great. I decrease the amount of sugar by 1/2 cup and substitute a box of Jello powder. My daughter loves it and she gets to choose which "flavour" of cake we will have every time (lemon, strawberry etc). I only use the Jello powder that calls for boiling water.

We did alter the flour a bit -- 1/2 c brown rice flour, 3/4 cup white rice flour, 1/2 cup sorghum flour, and 1/2 c tapioca flour. Thank you for such a great recipe.

I followed the suggestions of previous reviewers and added 1/3 cup more sugar and 1/2 cup unsweetened coco powder to make chocolate cupcakes. I cooked them for about 19 minutes. Perfect!

Rather than xanthan gum (way too expensive!), can use guar gum (runs $4.99/lb in my area and can usually buy small packages for under $2 at health food stores). Cake turned out fine, except my batter was thin and I had to pour it rather than spread it!

• Upvote 1

I am using this recipe for my daughter's birthday party on Sat. and I have probably made it at least 5 times already and my gluten eating family couldn't really tell the difference...

3 c gluten free flour (I used a combo of white rice, brown rice, tapioca and potato starch)

2 c sugar

9 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder

2 tsp baking soda

2 tsp xanthan gum

1 tsp salt

2 c water

1/2 c plus 2 tbs vegetable oil

2 tbs apple cider vinegar

1 tsp vanilla

Mix everything together really well and put it into 2 greased 9 in cake pans. Bake at 350 for about 25 min or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool completely before trying to remove it from the pan.

I top it with a faux "butter"cream icing...

about a 1/4 c light olive oil

2 tsp vanilla

1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder

about 4 c powdered sugar

4-6 tbs water (just enough to get the right icing consistency)

Good luck with making the cake and the birthday party.

• Upvote 1

I am using this recipe for my daughter's birthday party on Sat. and I have probably made it at least 5 times already and my gluten eating family couldn't really tell the difference...

3 c gluten free flour (I used a combo of white rice, brown rice, tapioca and potato starch)

2 c sugar

9 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder

2 tsp baking soda

2 tsp xanthan gum

1 tsp salt

2 c water

1/2 c plus 2 tbs vegetable oil

2 tbs apple cider vinegar

1 tsp vanilla

Mix everything together really well and put it into 2 greased 9 in cake pans. Bake at 350 for about 25 min or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool completely before trying to remove it from the pan.

I top it with a faux "butter"cream icing...

about a 1/4 c light olive oil

2 tsp vanilla

1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder

about 4 c powdered sugar

4-6 tbs water (just enough to get the right icing consistency)

Good luck with making the cake and the birthday party.

Alex, I just made your birthday cake. Still too hot to ice, though.

• Upvote 1

Alex, I just made your birthday cake. Still too hot to ice, though.

I hope it turns out as well for you as it did for us. Please let me know what you think.

• Upvote 1

I use golden syrup instead of eggs in mine.

I use golden syrup instead of eggs in mine.

What is golden syrup?

I hope it turns out as well for you as it did for us. Please let me know what you think.

It was good :) I ACCIDENTALLY used sorghum flour instead of brown rice flour (in the flour mix), so it was chewy, sorta like sponge cake. We liked it. Thanks for the recpe :)

It was good :) I ACCIDENTALLY used sorghum flour instead of brown rice flour (in the flour mix), so it was chewy, sorta like sponge cake. We liked it. Thanks for the recpe :)

Not a problem. I'm glad that you enjoyed it.