melikamaui

Migraines And Not Knowing

Rate this topic

After being gluten free for about 8 months I got my first migraine two nights ago. I hadn't had one since going gluten-free, but I used to get them regularly before that. This one was a doozy too! Now I'm wondering what on earth caused it. Could I have gotten contaminated somehow? I held a friend's infant who spit up on me. The baby isn't gluten-free so her spit-up was definitely gluten-contaminated. Could that be it? Was it because I ate dairy that day when I hadn't in awhile? Was it something else? It's just frustrating all of this not knowing. I'm not really expecting an answer to this post. Just venting to people who understand. ;)

Hi, Melikamaui.

I'm sorry about your migraine. They really stink. Any of those things is a possible culprit. If the baby touched your face after having her fingers in her mouth, if you touched your mouth after touching the baby's hands or face, if you kissed hands or face, if the spit up came in contact with your mouth, if you ate dairy while having an intolerance to it....(One of the signs I've accidentally gotten into dairy is a screaming migraine.) Hope you feel better!

Katherine

Thanks Katherine.

I think one of the things that is most frustrating about celiac disease is all the guessing involved. Sometimes I just won't know what caused me (or my kids) to get sick. I have spent the better part of the weekend re-hashing the day before the migraine and have been terrified to repeat anything that may have caused it. No more dairy for me that's for sure! (I just snuck a little bit because I hadn't had any for months) And I'll be more careful when holding babies from now on. *sigh*