HaileyRay812

Getting Tested In A Week... Need Help!

Rate this topic

I am getting tested for celiac (blood test) in about a week. I really want the results to come out accurate and need help for those of you who have already gone through this. I have been off gluten (on and off) for the last several months and for the last week or two have tried to load up on gluten (which is miserable!) I am only doing this test once and then Going gluten free no matter what the results are. Anyone have any tips to get a positive outcome? I am so ready for a diagnosis and just to move on with my life!

Call your dr to be sure.

I skipped testing, but I believe I have read on other posts that you need to stay on gluten through ALL tests.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but the recommendation for the most accurate testing is the equivalent of three to four slices of bread a day for a minimum of two months; some say three months. I don't know how gluten lite you have been. If you were on gluten for a good periodbefore your two-week "loading" it would help, but it does not work if you just cram it in at the end. If you were off gluten before you started your "loading" two weeks is usually too short a time because healing takes place and the antibodies retreat. Your body needs time to develop the antibodies in the blood and to damage the villi in the small intestine.

I don't mean to rain on your parade, but the recommendation for the most accurate testing is the equivalent of three to four slices of bread a day for a minimum of two months; some say three months. I don't know how gluten lite you have been. If you were on gluten for a good periodbefore your two-week "loading" it would help, but it does not work if you just cram it in at the end. If you were off gluten before you started your "loading" two weeks is usually too short a time because healing takes place and the antibodies retreat. Your body needs time to develop the antibodies in the blood and to damage the villi in the small intestine.

This, exactly. You need to be on gluten for a minimum of 3-4 weeks before testing (according to my doc), and some even recommend 3-4 months. If you want to make sure you get accurate results, there is no way around it. :(

This, exactly. You need to be on gluten for a minimum of 3-4 weeks before testing (according to my doc), and some even recommend 3-4 months. If you want to make sure you get accurate results, there is no way around it. :(

Agreed. I know this is just reiterating what was said but I wanted to add that I was told 3-4 months by my dietitian, GP and surgeon. My challenge was about 3.5 months.