Schatz

Statistics Of Celiac

Rate this topic

What are the stats of the possibility of siblings having celiac? Ball park. :)

What are the stats of the possibility of siblings having celiac? Ball park. :)

1 in 22 chance. You might like to check these fact sheets from the U of Chicago Celiac Disease Center. Interesting info.

I'm afraid I don't trust stats. So few people with celiac have been diagnosed, I don't know how they could project the correct stats. The 1-in-22 stat has always made me laugh--my mother, grandmother, one uncle, one aunt, son, daughter, nephew, niece, and numerous cousins all have celiac. No way could this represent a 1-in-22 stat. In my family, it's closer to 1 in 4. My guess is that if one parent has celiac, each child has a 50/50 chance of developing it.

I'm afraid I don't trust stats. So few people with celiac have been diagnosed, I don't know how they could project the correct stats. The 1-in-22 stat has always made me laugh--my mother, grandmother, one uncle, one aunt, son, daughter, nephew, niece, and numerous cousins all have celiac. No way could this represent a 1-in-22 stat. In my family, it's closer to 1 in 4. My guess is that if one parent has celiac, each child has a 50/50 chance of developing it.

I agree - my grandfather, my mother, me and my son (so far) I did read that if a sibling has it you then have a 30% chance of it but if a parent has it you have a 10% chance.....

Don't tell me that. I'm aftaid to get my kids results this week. I'll need a soulder to cry on if they have it.

My boys (ages 10, 7, and 2) are having blood drawn today. I'm so anxious about the results. They are having the genetic portion as well.

We heard from an alergist that son, age 7 doesn't have it. Now just have to hear on daughter, 6. So thanks for listening.