This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Is This Normal?

suziq0805

suziq0805 Enthusiast

I've often had issues with my arms going numb while I am sleeping....I literally can't feel them. Just curious as to whether this is normal or not. I tend to sleep in crazy positions and do tend to sleep on my arms, so when I do that it would make sense that I could just be cutting off the circulation. When that happens and I wake up then I just move my arms and after a couple minutes everything is back to normal. But there are also times where I couldn't be cutting off circulation and my arms are slightly above my head and the same thing happens. Is this normal or not?? I have dealt with minor nerve pain and lots of muscle pain/weakness in my arms the past few years and am just curious to see if this arm numbness happens to everyone or if it could be related to the pain/weakness issues in my arms.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

What you're describing is paresthesia...and sometimes it's caused by nutritional deficiencies. You might do a keyword search on this.

I suffer from intermittent paresthesia, but it was caused by chemotherapy.

beebs Enthusiast

I have started having this very issue! I posted on an autoimmune forum about it. I have started getting dead arms soooo bad at night that I can't even move my fingers - it is scaring the heck out of me. I hope someone can give you (and me) some answers!

rosetapper23 Explorer

Okay, here's a starting point: deficiencies in calcium, phosphorus, and B-12 can cause limb numbness or paresthesia. Perhaps the two of you should get tested for these deficiencies.

Here's a good link for symptoms of nutritional deficiencies/toxicities:

Open Original Shared Link

beebs Enthusiast

Okay, here's a starting point: deficiencies in calcium, phosphorus, and B-12 can cause limb numbness or paresthesia. Perhaps the two of you should get tested for these deficiencies.

Here's a good link for symptoms of nutritional deficiencies/toxicities:

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks rosetapper!

Roda Rising Star

I can't put my arms above my head for any lenght of time without them to start going numb. Last I knew all my vitamin/mineral levels are good. I do have three posterior osteophytes in my neck. I believe my neck has something to do with my issues. Do you have a slipped disc or a pinched nerve? I also get numb arms when I sleep wrong on them. I think that is pretty normal to happen.

Juliebove Rising Star

I can't put my arms above my head for any lenght of time without them to start going numb. Last I knew all my vitamin/mineral levels are good. I do have three posterior osteophytes in my neck. I believe my neck has something to do with my issues. Do you have a slipped disc or a pinched nerve? I also get numb arms when I sleep wrong on them. I think that is pretty normal to happen.

I have the same problem with my arms over my head. I don't know why.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommyto2kids Collaborator

Mom,friend and I use wrist splints when we get this problem. We get them at the drug store. We sleep with them on and problem is gone.

Archived