turtleturtle

Symptoms Of "getting Glutened" Two Days Later

Rate this topic

Once you have gone gluten free and accidentally eat gluten (which I may or may not have in the home fries at the restaurant on Sunday), could a migraine/headache come on about 36-48 hours later? Sort of like a delayed inflammatory response. Also my skin (back-ne) seemed to get worse. Today, about three days later I have a very scratchy throat and for the last couple days have been having almost like hot flashes of sorts. Does any of this sound like being glutened?

And is all of this a moot point if I am only 2.5 weeks in? I am also pretty much 99% sure that there was no gluten in anything else I've eaten this week. I am pretty crazy about it, I just let down my guard at the restaurant because I am still not that comfortable with eating out and it was a party. I am not eating dairy either.

And last caveat, of course, I am not sure yet that gluten is the root of my problems. It just seems to fit from what I read and my eczema cleared.

Yes, I have delayed response all the time. That's why it was so hard to pin down gluten in the first place--sometimes, I get a reaction right away, sometimes hours and hours later. Yeah, stay away from those fries!! And good luck!

• Upvote 1

Eating out is tough, but I'm not sure you're cleaned out enough yet to really start having a distinct reaction. I would think that at two weeks your body hasn't even started to realize it's not being constantly provoked. It took me maybe four months to start having a reaction -- or at least one that would be felt above the general stomach symptoms which were still constant at that time. It was very hard to pin down at that point because it seemed to take hours or even a day or two to occur. Over the last few months, it seems like the reaction has become much worse, and comes on now within two to three hours.

I normally will have a reaction about 24 hours later but this last time I got it almost 48 hours later, not sure what causes it. I had to really think what I had eaten and I knew it could not be anything in the 24 hours previous so went to the previous day and I had questioned a dish, sure enough. It was weird though.....I probably was more dizzy than normal, almost felt ill to my stomach, it felt like I could break out in a sweat but didn't. But then it passed sooner than it would usually.