daisymae106

Fever

Rate this topic

Hello!! I am 2 months into the Gluten Free lifestyle, diagnosed with Celiac Disease in July 2011. During the time of my testing and various doctor appointments, they would routinely check my temperature and I would be running a low-grade fever! They would ask me if I was fighting a cold or feeling sick, but it was always a shock to me as I never suspected a fever. My hands and feet are usually on the cold side, but my head is hot. LOL Does anyone else go through this? I never knew I ran a low grade fever but it has happened more than twice when I have been at the doctor for other reasons. I am wondering if this is related to Celiac Disease. I feel frustrated with so many unanswered questions going on with me. My son's bloodwork for celiac recently came back as a "weak positive". I am hoping to find a good doctor that is familiar with Celiac Disease in children. My son doesn't have any symptoms except bloating and gas which he has learned to live with. I just want to make the right decisions in moving forward and I don't want to ignore anything that could be serious. When I received his bloodwork results, the nurse merely suggested I could try him on a gluten free diet for a while. I am thinking a weak positive still means positive! Thanks for listening. This community has been so encouraging and helpful. I have felt MUCH better since being gluten-free, but the idea of Celiac Disease being an auto immune disorder is scary when you think about the ramifications it can have down the road. Any comments or thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Hello!! I am 2 months into the Gluten Free lifestyle, diagnosed with Celiac Disease in July 2011. During the time of my testing and various doctor appointments, they would routinely check my temperature and I would be running a low-grade fever! They would ask me if I was fighting a cold or feeling sick, but it was always a shock to me as I never suspected a fever. My hands and feet are usually on the cold side, but my head is hot. LOL Does anyone else go through this? I never knew I ran a low grade fever but it has happened more than twice when I have been at the doctor for other reasons. I am wondering if this is related to Celiac Disease. I feel frustrated with so many unanswered questions going on with me. My son's bloodwork for celiac recently came back as a "weak positive". I am hoping to find a good doctor that is familiar with Celiac Disease in children. My son doesn't have any symptoms except bloating and gas which he has learned to live with. I just want to make the right decisions in moving forward and I don't want to ignore anything that could be serious. When I received his bloodwork results, the nurse merely suggested I could try him on a gluten free diet for a while. I am thinking a weak positive still means positive! Thanks for listening. This community has been so encouraging and helpful. I have felt MUCH better since being gluten-free, but the idea of Celiac Disease being an auto immune disorder is scary when you think about the ramifications it can have down the road. Any comments or thoughts on this would be appreciated!

I also run a low grade fever off and on. I have been doing this for about 10 years.

Hi Daisy,

I had a chronic low grade fever prior to being diagnosed and going gluten free. Now, my temperature rises to 100.8 everytime I get glutened. The fever usually lasts for 1-2 days and then my temperature normalizes. My understanding is that this is part of the autoimmune cascade for some of us.

I hope that you start to feel better soon. Although it is difficult to be gluten free at first, it gets easier(and is so, so nice to not feel sick all of the time!)

J

I never even thought about it, but now that you mention it, I have often run a low grade fever. Hmmm...

Hey!! Thanks to you both for your replies! Amazing, isn't it? I am so glad to hear that others have gone through this. I don't ever feel feverish, it's strange because I never knew gluten could be the culprit. I know some people run higher temps than others anyway but It will be interesting to see if I still have a low grade temp the next time I go to the dr. Hopefully I am not getting accidentally glutened. Thanks again and I have so appreciated this forum! Take care and God bless!

My son was not diagnosed with gluten intolerance (or celiac), but we put him on a gluten-free diet several months ago because of his awful BM's and diaper rash. I recongized some of his poops - they looked a lot like the way mine used to (I self diagnosed gluten intolerance - I'm pretty sure it's celiac)

Anyway, my husband and I were just commenting that our son's random, perplexing episodes of two or three day long fevers have gone away now that he's on the gluten-free diet. A few times his fevers landed us in the ER (elevated temp, high heart rate, but no other obvious signs of illness).

I'm not sure about the fever but nothing surprises me with celiac.

I'm having a terrible day so I'm just going to take it out on that idiot nurse. SLAP!! That's me slapping her. There is no such thing as a weak positive. Just like a pregnancy test, where if you get a faint line you are pregnant no matter what, a celiac test with any bit of positive means he has celiac. Those antibodies fluctuate so on any given day they can be higher or lower.

You must put him on a strict gluten free diet and impress on him the importance of staying on it for life. Because of celiac I have so many health prolems. I was diagnosed at 40 and I also have hypothyroidism, asthma and now Cushings. I have been sick for decades and now I'm facing surgery on an adrenal tumor.

Celiac destroys the intestine and therefore destroys other things in your body. I know it's awful to have to put a kid on gluten free but there are enough products out there and places to eat out he won't be deprived. My son enjoys Mc Donald's without the bun, Wendy's with no bun, etc. etc. I do have to bake cupcakes for him when he goes to parties and that's not so great, but most of the time there's at least one or two other food allergic kids.

I use Gluten Free Pantry Basic Sandwich bread mix and it is a lifesaver with a kid. It tastes like normal white bread and it doesn't fall apart when you make a sandwich. I got the Breadman with the gluten free setting, but before I had a breadmaker I used to just make it by hand. I do let it rise longer than they say on the box. Glutino has great crackers and pretzels and Kettle brand chips are almost all gluten free. You can make him "normal" kid foods. Kinnikinnick makes great hot dog and hamburger buns too.

I used to run low grade fevers often, for days at a time. Even kept a log once, showed it to the doctor, and he said, basically, ok, that's interesting. (grrrrr!) This was many years pre-gluten free, and I considered it part of fibromyalgia.

Now, after being gluten free for several years, I still run low grade fevers (mid to high 99's, low 100's) if I get too fatigued, or if the fibro flares, or if I get glutened. Getting glutened causes the fibro symptoms and the fatigue to happen, so it's all tied up together.

I do have to say that I am self diganosed and consider myself gluten intolerant.

You are not alone!