Regameleca

Blood Infection ?

Rate this topic

Hi guys

I was wondering if anyone has ever suffered an infection of the blood and if this is something that can occur with gluten intolorence/celiac's? This summer I got a tiny cut, the kind that you wouldn't even notice and less then 12 hours later is developed into a full on blood infection with a red track line running from my thumb past my elbow. I went to emergency and the doctor was convinced I had underlying health problems. I've always suspected celiacs as I have a family history and i have a lot of symptoms but can it cause something like this? I'm someone who suffers a lot of infections like kidney, bladder and sometimes chest but never this before....

Tired of my boss saying to me"you sure have a lot of weird health problems!" :P

Hi guys

I was wondering if anyone has ever suffered an infection of the blood and if this is something that can occur with gluten intolorence/celiac's? This summer I got a tiny cut, the kind that you wouldn't even notice and less then 12 hours later is developed into a full on blood infection with a red track line running from my thumb past my elbow. I went to emergency and the doctor was convinced I had underlying health problems. I've always suspected celiacs as I have a family history and i have a lot of symptoms but can it cause something like this? I'm someone who suffers a lot of infections like kidney, bladder and sometimes chest but never this before....

Tired of my boss saying to me"you sure have a lot of weird health problems!" :P

hiya, after my c/section 4 months ago I developed a UTI. I went onto anti bs but within 4 days it had spread into my blood stream. Luckily they caught it early. But I have no doubt that my autoimmune crap is the reason I can't seem to do anything without ending up with infections. This was the worst one but I've had very bad infections (not ones that turned systemic) after each of my births and i wasn't gluten free the other two times. I also have another autoimmune disease as well as celiac.

So the short answer is *yes*. I read a pubmed study that said thad undiagnosed celiacs have a 3 fold increase in developing severe infections after surgery....

I also used to get lots of infections - chest, middle ear (I averaged over 2 a year) etc etc.

Having said all that is there any other reason that you suspect celiac? There are an awful lot of autoimmune diseases out there - and they all affect your immune system.

Ya I'm pretty sure it's celiacs. My sister has recently been diagnosed, my mum has ulcerative colitis, osteoporosis, and anemia, I'm anaemic and the docs are always saying I have ibs....so at the very least I feel like I have some form of gluten intolerance...

Ugh to all your nasty infections, sure doesn't sound like fun :(

Ya I'm pretty sure it's celiacs. My sister has recently been diagnosed, my mum has ulcerative colitis, osteoporosis, and anemia, I'm anaemic and the docs are always saying I have ibs....so at the very least I feel like I have some form of gluten intolerance...

Ugh to all your nasty infections, sure doesn't sound like fun :(

Did you have your blood panel and genes test done yet? Sounds like it could be that - my mum has it and thats why it came into my head as well. It was like - 'this is all starting to make sense'!

I did and the stupid doctors can't find the result!!! So he's reordered it but it seems to be taking far too long. I feel like he's not really taking it very seriously, but my previous dr recommended I stop eating wheat... Her son had celiacs so she was very supportive and helpful... I miss her! Anyway I cut out gluten now and feel so much better! Ate some in Italy and boy did I pay, so regardless of whether I have full on celiacs disease I think I'm at least intolerant, I would like to know for sure though:) this forum is a bit of an eye opener, all the things I have suffered over the years are all making sense! Even being dizzy and unbalanced and having poor coordination, So nice to find support as well:)

I did and the stupid doctors can't find the result!!! So he's reordered it but it seems to be taking far too long. I feel like he's not really taking it very seriously, but my previous dr recommended I stop eating wheat... Her son had celiacs so she was very supportive and helpful... I miss her! Anyway I cut out gluten now and feel so much better! Ate some in Italy and boy did I pay, so regardless of whether I have full on celiacs disease I think I'm at least intolerant, I would like to know for sure though:) this forum is a bit of an eye opener, all the things I have suffered over the years are all making sense! Even being dizzy and unbalanced and having poor coordination, So nice to find support as well:)

Yeah - I hear ya, I didn't have the biopsy and I regret it. My symptoms are very severe and I now I can't do the challenge. My dr is positive its celiac bases on my family history and severity of symptoms but I gotta say. I really want an official diag -I really hate not knowing for sure!

So the short answer is *yes*. I read a pubmed study that said thad undiagnosed celiacs have a 3 fold increase in developing severe infections after surgery....

I also used to get lots of infections - chest, middle ear (I averaged over 2 a year) etc etc.

Having said all that is there any other reason that you suspect celiac? There are an awful lot of autoimmune diseases out there - and they all affect your immune system.

I didn't know that. Wow. Last year I had surgery and developed a severe blood infection. It was horrible, I almost died. It really is amazing to me how this can affect so many aspects of a person's health.