Dreamer80

Blood Test Negative

Rate this topic

So I just called to get the results of my bloodwork and was told my celiac test was negative. My doctor also tested my thyroid and vitamin levels, I was told all that was normal too. I am really bummed. :( I honestly thought I'd finally figured out what was wrong with me. I do have a question - I am seriously considering doing the Enterolab testing just to see if it is a food allergy of some kind. Would this tell me if I am gluten sensitive? And if it is just gluten-sensitivity and not Celiacs would that be why my vitamin levels are fine? I guess it's back to square one for me. :( I know it's not all in my head, and one day I'm gonna figure this thing out.

So I just called to get the results of my bloodwork and was told my celiac test was negative. My doctor also tested my thyroid and vitamin levels, I was told all that was normal too. I am really bummed. :( I honestly thought I'd finally figured out what was wrong with me. I do have a question - I am seriously considering doing the Enterolab testing just to see if it is a food allergy of some kind. Would this tell me if I am gluten sensitive? And if it is just gluten-sensitivity and not Celiacs would that be why my vitamin levels are fine? I guess it's back to square one for me. :( I know it's not all in my head, and one day I'm gonna figure this thing out.

Were you eating gluten free before the test? I thought I read somewhere that if you get tested, make sure you eat some gluten first.

You probably DID figure it out..it's just that the tests have not caught up with all of us yet. They are not very reliable. You certainly can still have Celiac and have tested negative. There are many here with the same situation. They just decide to go gluten free. If you give it a good strict try for several months you will know. The tests are inconsistent, but gluten elimination followed by challenge is 100% effective. Don't be bummed. You just have to try the diet if the tests don't tell you anything. You could also have Gluten Intolerance and it is every bit as miserable as Celiac and there are no tests for it.

• Upvote 1

My tests came back in the normal range. An endoscope was ordered the same time as the blood draw. I was lucky that I had the scope because it showed I had severe villi damage. If we had stopped after getting the blood tests I wouldn't be DXed.

In some cases an endoscope can be done and not find any damage. It can lie outside of the range of the scope because the small intestine is long.

Soo..testing can be tricky. You could also have gluten intollerance, which tests can't seem to pick up. My best advice would be to eliminate all traces of gluten from your diet and see how you feel. Then, try eating a bit and see if you get a bad reaction. If you do..you have your answer.

Best wishes to you. I hope you're able to figure this out. :(

Yes, it could be gluten intolerance. There is no reliable test for gluten intolerance other than trying the diet. Don't waste money on Enterolab. It's better spent on a new cutting board, toaster, and some gluten-free goodies to try out the diet. At first, go gluten-free and dairy-free because many, many gluten intolerant people also have trouble with dairy. Also keep an eye on soy. Try it for a couple months and see how you feel.

I wouldn't bother with the expense of Enterolab. Go gluten free for two months, then try it and see how your body reacts. (Make sure you eliminate all possibilities of cross contamination in your home and avoid eating out, so you're truly gluten free.) If you suspect other foods, this is a good time to eliminate them also. Oh, before you go gluten-free, you may want to eat that favorite cake/bread/meal one last time just in case gluten is your problem. I wish I had done that.

Oh, my bloodwork was negative, too. Definite reaction to gluten challenge. My doctor diagnosed me with celiac based on symptoms and reaction to gluten.

• Upvote 1