glutentheintolerant

Appointment With Gp

Rate this topic

So, based upon what I've read and has been recommended to me I decided to make an appointment with my GP to have a talk with him about further testing. I'm seeing him in one week time.

I'm being given a whopping 10 minutes to tell my story so I'd like to get everything I want to speak sorted on a list out before I head in to make the best use of the time and to make sure I don't miss anything.

I've been gluten-free for about 8 months with the occasional contamination (Not more than two or three times, mainly in the beginning.) most of the food products I have come from guaranteed gluten-free sources.

I'll definitely request a gluten blood test even though the odds are small that I'd test positive, they're probably greater than winning the lottery.

These are some things I'll definitely want to talk to my GP about;

• Casein intolerance
  • Hashimoto's thyroiditis
  • autoimmune thyroiditis

Then there are a few things that I can't really name because I'm not quite sure what I have to ask for:

• Vitamine deficiencies
  • other deficiencies that my GP (or you guys) deem likely

So, what am I missing? Apart from an endoscopy, that is. I am not willing to go through with such a procedure at this point in my life. I had a bronchoscopy performed on me and it bordered on traumatizing.

No one has any hints? Hm, well O.K. I'll just keep the list as it is, then. I guess that the GP will first want to see some bloodwork before he orders any additional tests judging from what I've read here.

It sounds like you're going in well prepared. I'd toss in genetic testing since you are already gluten-free.

The most common vitamin deficiencies seem to be b vitamins, calcium, magnesium, vitamin d.

Be prepared for pushback and state very clearly you want this testing. If doctor thinks otherwise, day ok test for that too. BUT I WANT THIS TESTING.

Thanks, added those to the list. The genetic testing is about the DQ2 and DQ8 genes, right?

I've also seem become contaminated with gluten between now and 48 hours ago. Entirely by accident and I have no idea how (Probably a failure in hygiene) but it did give me a chance to write down all the symptoms I often had before I went gluten-free but never fully managed to relay to my doctor(s).

Getting a blood test after that long gluten free is a pointless waste of money. Your doc might humor you and test for thyroid antibodies, but it's more likely that he'll ask to go back on gluten for a few months to do a proper celiac blood test first.

Getting a blood test after that long gluten free is a pointless waste of money. Your doc might humor you and test for thyroid antibodies, but it's more likely that he'll ask to go back on gluten for a few months to do a proper celiac blood test first.

Hm, that's a bridge I'll cross when I get to it. A long bridge at that.

Any idea what kind of gluten-poisoning we're talking about? A cookie per day or entire meals?

Still, the main purpose of my visit is to find out if I have suffered any damage under the hood from living with gluten for many a year and if I have any other problems that may have been hidden before my new diet. I already know I'm sensitive to gluten, I could live with that never being made official.

Well. I think it's 4 slices of bread for 3 months for best shot at antibody blood work.

If you want info on how your intestines are doing, consider Enterolab. They do antibody, gene, and fat measurements from stool samples to determine those things (DNA is swab). No doctor needed.

Well. I think it's 4 slices of bread for 3 months for best shot at antibody blood work.

every day? :blink:

I saw Enterolab being recommended before. I am from Europe and given the way our health-insurance works I'll be doing most of my testing through a hospital. If I go through the proper channels that should cover most of the expenses.

I'll get back at you once I've discussed all these tests and findings with my GP. First time ever that I'm looking forward to talking to a doctor.

Yep. Every day.

I've heard Celiac is dx more in Europe by gluten withdrawal and challenge. Perhaps ask?

I don't know if Enterolab takes orders from outside the US. It isn't expensive.