This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cooking With Cast Iron Pans

gaillynne

gaillynne Newbie

Is cooking in cast iron cookware a problem when I prepare both gluten free and non gluten free foods for my family? Not sure how careful I have to be with these type pans.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

You should only cook gluten or non-gluten in them to be safe. I have read that cast iron is safe if you re-season it by burning it off in the oven at the highest temp...gluten is incinerated by that. I wouldn't dare use it and wash it and use it for gluten free. But that is just my opinion.

GFreeMO Proficient

I would get your own new cast iron pan for your gluten free food. I think that gluten kind of gets baked into these pans and won't come off easily. Better be safe than sick. The Emeril cast iron pans are pretty nice.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I thought about this. I love my pans. We have a relationship it took years to build. I don't know if I can do it. I may have to keep the old ones, even if I get new ones.

Ugh.

krystynycole Contributor

Never!!! It's the seasoned part that makes it good...aka cooking in the goodness of gluten baked in yummy. My husband has his own for gluten foods and I have one of non gluten foods.

I do use my non cast iron cookware for both gluten and gluten-free foods.

Exactly! I honestly teared up thinking about this. Hilarious, isn't it? I can give up all sorts of things but I can't give up my iron skillet???

Southern females and iron skillets. A very deep relationship. We know each other.

I can't bear the thought of scrubbing it down; although I know I could...then reseason. Would it work? I know some people pull them out after hurricanes and reseason.

gaillynne Newbie

Thanks so much!! I love my pans so I'll have to set a couple aside for my gluten free food!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gaillynne Newbie

Exactly! I honestly teared up thinking about this. Hilarious, isn't it? I can give up all sorts of things but I can't give up my iron skillet???

Southern females and iron skillets. A very deep relationship. We know each other.

I can't bear the thought of scrubbing it down; although I know I could...then reseason. Would it work? I know some people pull them out after hurricanes and reseason.

I'm a southern girl too!! I can't part with my pans so I'm gonna have to reseason a couple of them---I know what you mean about the cast iron pan relationship and mine have been in my family for years!!! Thanks!

kareng Grand Master

We have had this discussion before and the consensus is to put them in the oven during an oven cleaning cycle. Then re- season/ oi.

We have had this discussion before and the consensus is to put them in the oven during an oven cleaning cycle. Then re- season/ oi.

Others may have had that discussion before but you've got two right here that put their iron skillets up there with "things you grab in a fire". Or, in my family's case - hurricane. So, as we know we could - there's that breathe-stopping moment (or two) of realizing you must remove YEARS of seasoning (and thus put YEARS) back on.

I still tear up. I need a stiff drink.

kareng Grand Master

Others may have had that discussion before but you've got two right here that put their iron skillets up there with "things you grab in a fire". Or, in my family's case - hurricane. So, as we know we could - there's that breathe-stopping moment (or two) of realizing you must remove YEARS of seasoning (and thus put YEARS) back on.

I still tear up. I need a stiff drink.

Just summarizing the previous research/ discussions. Never said not to keep them. Just want them to be safe to use.

Being diagnosed Celiac or intolerant is the beginning of a new life for you and your pans. You will make new history with your cookware!

Just summarizing the previous research/ discussions. Never said not to keep them. Just want them to be safe to use.

Being diagnosed Celiac or intolerant is the beginning of a new life for you and your pans. You will make new history with your cookware!

Especially if it cracks, warps or ruins the oven bottom. Risks we take for food. (:

Skylark Collaborator

My poor innocent wok did survive a thorough scrubbing with steel wool. She forgave me eventually, though it did take quite a few stir frys to set her right again. I gave away my big cast iron skillet to a student friend who really needed kitchenware and got a new one. I don't think I ever had flour in the little cast iron skillet I use to roast cumin and fry masala so it escaped the abuse.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

When I got DXed I got rid of our teflon pans and got cast iron. I love the way I can brown meats with them.

I wash them with plain water and a plastic scrubber after using, wipe dry, and rub a thin coat of bacon grease on the inside. Then I set it on the stove and turn the burner to high. Once it gets hot I turn it right back off and let the pan sit and cool before putting it away.

My hubby said I shouldn't need to do that every time I use them. I'm trying to get that good seasoning I hear so much about.

How do y'all take care of yours?

Constant use???

I coat with veggie oil after each use. Clean by wiping it out or water. Try not to use soap too much. Don't cook on too high of heat - don't need to, really.

It's very easy to strip it enough that stuff sticks. Constant use and oil works wonders. Getting it seasoned is the worst - which is why I'm crying in my gluten-free beer. Sometimes they sell cast iron with a coating on it which must be removed. It's gross, and can interfere with seasoning if you don't get it off.

I Don't use Teflon, only ceramic nonstick. That needs to becreplaced anyway...no biggie. But my cast iron skillet is my best friend.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Well, it appears that the reason I have never found True Love.... :unsure:

is because I have never owned a Cast Iron Pan!! :o:huh:

I'll be getting one now thanks to your expressions of love. :rolleyes:

So when you start brand new...what do you do to the pan?

I think I smoked up the whole house once trying to season a new pan...then gave up and bought teflon. :ph34r:

Depends on the Pan.

Did you buy one already?

Some come preseasoned. Some come with a protective coating that really requires steel wool to get off. It's sticky and icky and makes a mess if you don't get it off.

Most say oil a clean, scoured new pan. Bake in 300 degree oven 1 hour. I've had to repeat that a few times (the oil and bake part). Don't use it on extreme stovetop heat. Point is it will heat better than others. Clean by wiping out and place on warm burner to evaporate water, re-oil for storage. After a while it will just need oil. Like 10 years. Unless you have to scrub it. Then heat, oil.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I haven't bought one yet.

I'm just engaged.... :D

Do you have a recommendation on what to buy?

I don't think I want one with that icky coating on it.

And if it is gonna take 10 years to season this pan...

Then it really is a marriage!

I may not live long enough to be able to use a well-seasoned cast iron pan!

But I'm gonna try.

I really don't have a suggestion. Ironically, an old one is better than a new one. The iron was better quality.

I have a Wagners 1891. Lodge makes iron cookware but some of it is bumpy - which is supposed to go away with time. I think Emeril has a line. I'd google iron skillets and see what pops up. Now you know why I'm in a quandry.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I bought a couple of Lodge brand with the pre-seasoning. It needs to have a bit more added, but it's a nice start.

I had an older fry pan I got at a yard sale and it seems much better?

I chose the Lodge brand because their price is reasonable and they're made in America where there are regulations about the metals used. I've heard that the cast iron made in China, etc. can have just about anything mixed in, including toxic things. :o

• 2 weeks later...
Schatz Apprentice

My dh has had his cast iron pan longer than he's had me. We don't have a self clean on the oven. He just heat it on high on the stove top, and scrubbed it with metal. Now, of course he didn't strip it completely doing that. Anyway, he then seasoned it several times. I haven't had any problems with it.

Archived