This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Was I Misdiagnoised Maybe?

Debzo

Debzo Newbie

I was diagnoised with Rheumatoid Arthritis in 2003 because of a swollen knuckle. The first doctor said he thought I had Wilson's Disease but the one he sent me to said my RA Factor was real high and I had Rheumatoid. Throughout my life I have had terrible migraine auras from time to time, panic attacks, pvc's, psorisis on my knees and elbows and scalp, rapid heartbeat after eating, horrible joint pain and swollen feet and ankles. It became worse over the past few years. I decided it was my age and the RA creeping up on me. A few years ago I tried to eat healthier which included Special K cereal and Triskets. I just felt worse and worse. I am wondering if all of these symptoms could be Celiac? Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Roda Rising Star

It's very possible you could have both since autoimmune diseases tend to occur together. I just found out that my RF was slightly elevated. I went to my pcp to see if I need to worry (I have no symptoms). I was told I was at increased risk and they want to recheck everything in Feb. As of right now I don't need to worry. I would request a full celiac panel to include: total IgA, IgA/IgG tTg(tissue transglutaminase), and the newest test IgA/IgG DGP (deamidated gliadin peptide). The last two are taking the place of the older IgA/IgG anti gliadin antibodies. You can have those run if the newer test isn't available. You need to stay on a regular gluten filled diet to get the most accurate test results. Same goes if you want to have a upper scope/biopsy. After you complete all your testing give the diet a try. You may find you get relief from the rheumatoid symptoms.

Debzo Newbie

It's very possible you could have both since autoimmune diseases tend to occur together. I just found out that my RF was slightly elevated. I went to my pcp to see if I need to worry (I have no symptoms). I was told I was at increased risk and they want to recheck everything in Feb. As of right now I don't need to worry. I would request a full celiac panel to include: total IgA, IgA/IgG tTg(tissue transglutaminase), and the newest test IgA/IgG DGP (deamidated gliadin peptide). The last two are taking the place of the older IgA/IgG anti gliadin antibodies. You can have those run if the newer test isn't available. You need to stay on a regular gluten filled diet to get the most accurate test results. Same goes if you want to have a upper scope/biopsy. After you complete all your testing give the diet a try. You may find you get relief from the rheumatoid symptoms.

Thank you Roda! I did begin a gluten free diet a few weeks ago and I know it sounds odd but my eyes don't seems as blurred anymore. I am also having a real hard time finding out what products are gluten free, such as makeup, shampoo, foods, ect?

Roda Rising Star

At first it is simpler to go with naturally gluten free foods such as meats, fruits, veggies, brown/white rice, and dairy(if you can tolerate it). Betty Crocker and King Arthur have some good mixes. Rice, corn, honey nut, cinnamon, and chocolate chex are gluten free. There is a new gluten free Rice Krispies and Fruity and cocoa pebbles are gluten free also. Yoplait yogurt is safe it will say gluten free on the lable. Udi's bread and bagles are good. Corn tortillas are a good sub for flour ones. Kraft, ConAgra, and Unlevier are full gluten disclosure companies. If it is not on the lable it isn't in there (wheat, barley, malt, rye).

You will need a separate toaster and pasta strainer for guten free bread/pasta. You need to replace any wooden utensils/cutting boards if there was ever gluten on them. Cast iron needs stripped and reseasoned(not sure how to do it others may know). Here is a list of things I bought extra of: toaster, cutting boards, cooking utensils (mine were old anyway). Things I replaced: any baking items and herbs/spices that may have been cross contaminated, I got rid of any regular flour in the house and will not allow any baking with it, any condiments that may have been cross contaminated(CC) (others in the house finished them up and now we share following strict handling to avoid CC), waffle iron, any scratched or worn pots/pans, all my aluminum/metal bakeware (had baked on residue). I had several stainless steel and caflon cookware that was in excellent shape and did not replace. I was able to completely scrub my sheet cake pans. I kept and cleaned all my glass/pyrex bowles and bakeware. Any unscratched plastic storage containers I also kept.

It is very overwhelming at first. But once you settle in it will become easier.

Debzo Newbie

At first it is simpler to go with naturally gluten free foods such as meats, fruits, veggies, brown/white rice, and dairy(if you can tolerate it). Betty Crocker and King Arthur have some good mixes. Rice, corn, honey nut, cinnamon, and chocolate chex are gluten free. There is a new gluten free Rice Krispies and Fruity and cocoa pebbles are gluten free also. Yoplait yogurt is safe it will say gluten free on the lable. Udi's bread and bagles are good. Corn tortillas are a good sub for flour ones. Kraft, ConAgra, and Unlevier are full gluten disclosure companies. If it is not on the lable it isn't in there (wheat, barley, malt, rye).

You will need a separate toaster and pasta strainer for guten free bread/pasta. You need to replace any wooden utensils/cutting boards if there was ever gluten on them. Cast iron needs stripped and reseasoned(not sure how to do it others may know). Here is a list of things I bought extra of: toaster, cutting boards, cooking utensils (mine were old anyway). Things I replaced: any baking items and herbs/spices that may have been cross contaminated, I got rid of any regular flour in the house and will not allow any baking with it, any condiments that may have been cross contaminated(CC) (others in the house finished them up and now we share following strict handling to avoid CC), waffle iron, any scratched or worn pots/pans, all my aluminum/metal bakeware (had baked on residue). I had several stainless steel and caflon cookware that was in excellent shape and did not replace. I was able to completely scrub my sheet cake pans. I kept and cleaned all my glass/pyrex bowles and bakeware. Any unscratched plastic storage containers I also kept.

It is very overwhelming at first. But once you settle in it will become easier.

Thank you so very much. It does seem hard to do and takes a lot of will power. I am new to the website and posted two posts by mistake. On my other post someone suggested I go back to gluten until I am tested for it. I actually hope it is the gluten so I have an answer and can control it with diet and not a bunch of medication. I obviously have some sort of food allergy because I also deal with dark circles under my eyes and doctors have told me it was due to a food allergy but never tried to find out to what.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Celiac can cause inflammation in just about any area of your body. I got very lucky and my arthritis went into remission after a few months on the diet but not all see the same results. If you want more testing you do have to go back on gluten until that is done. The diet won't effect testing for anything other than celiac though. Do go with as much whole unprocessed food as you can. Check out the products section to help with toiletries and such. There are gluten free makeup lines and some companies will label gluten clearly in their hair care products like Dove, Suave, Giovanni, Garneir (what I use for hair and skin care), Shikai and a new company called Himalaya even labels their gluten-free products.

Debzo Newbie

Celiac can cause inflammation in just about any area of your body. I got very lucky and my arthritis went into remission after a few months on the diet but not all see the same results. If you want more testing you do have to go back on gluten until that is done. The diet won't effect testing for anything other than celiac though. Do go with as much whole unprocessed food as you can. Check out the products section to help with toiletries and such. There are gluten free makeup lines and some companies will label gluten clearly in their hair care products like Dove, Suave, Giovanni, Garneir (what I use for hair and skin care), Shikai and a new company called Himalaya even labels their gluten-free products.

Thank you all so much! I will try anything to control my auras, panic, and pvc's. I do not smoke, drink, or take any medications so I am sure diet plays a huge role in my issues. I also have very dark circles under my eyes and have read that is also tied to allergies. Sometimes I feel I am allergic to everything.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived