lesliev523

Thinking I Need To Be Gluten Free

Rate this topic

Hello-

I have had stomach issues for a few years now. I am a 38 year old female, and for the past four years or so, I have had trouble with constipation (to the point where my doctor felt I was becoming dependant on laxitives). I have been extremely bloated, with indigestion and acid reflux. Three years ago, I had appendicitis. Then about four months ago, I started to get gall bladder issues. At least we think. My HIDA scan was normal, but I showed polyps on my ultrasound. I did have an endoscopy, which resulted in some biopsies. As far as I know, the biopsies were normal.... although at the time I was focused on the gall bladder, so I am wondering if I should ask more questions on those results. I had my gall bladder out on Friday 9/16/11. I still feel like crap, although it could be a result of the surgery.

I am thinking of trying to go gluten free because while I was watching what I ate for my gall bladder, I noticed other things. Going low fat didn't necessarily make a difference. I did notice that ice cream, pizza, and burgers made me feel ill. But when I had a plain old order of french fries, I was fine. Beer also triggered me, but not in a stomach issue way... if I had a few beers, I noticed I was extremely stuffed up and congested the next day.

Does this sound like it could be gluten allergies? I am going for a follow up tomorrow, and am going to request a blood test for celiac.... as well as to be tested for other food allergies. I would love some feed back.

Thanks!

It definitely sounds like you're headed down the right road. Can you ask your GI for a copy of the radiology report from the endoscopy biopsies? I've had doctor's offices fail to report abnormal labs...

It definitely sounds like you're headed down the right road. Can you ask your GI for a copy of the radiology report from the endoscopy biopsies? I've had doctor's offices fail to report abnormal labs...

That is a good idea. I asked my doctor about it today, and she said there was nothing indicating celiac. I am so frustrated.

So do I try to go gluten free until they decide to do the allergy tests? I have to wait a few more weeks before I can have that done because they want to make sure I am fully recovered from having my gall bladder out first. UGGH!! HELP!!

I wouldn't think having your gallbladder out would affect the celiac blood tests.

I wouldn't think having your gallbladder out would affect the celiac blood tests.

I agree.... but they think that I should start feeling better and that the issues I am having currently are related to the surgery. Honestly, I don't think it is. It is almost like I feel worse than I did before surgery. Sure, I am still surgery sore. But the nausea, cramping, and gas are so much worse than before. And I really don't think that those symptoms are surgery related.

I almost think that my doctors think I am silly for questioning gluten, and that they keep putting me off.

So should I just go gluten free and to hell with the testing?

If you're still eating gluten I'd ask for a Celiac blood panel to be done at the very least. In some people (about 30%)the blood tests come back normal even with Celiac disease..and..you could still have a sensitivity/intollerance if not full blown Celiac.

Your symptoms sound like you have a problem with gluten.

If your Dr doesn't want to run the test, or if it comes back negative you can still try eliminating gluten on your own and see how you feel.

GB problems/symptoms are pretty common in Celiacs. Most Dr.s have a very narrow range of symptoms they think of in regards to the disease and are relunctant to test or DX it. Keep pushing for answers.