bpe

Celiac Disease And Hashimotos Disease?

Rate this topic

Is there a connection between Hashimotos disease and Celiac disease?

Yes. If you try a forum search, you should find a lot of threads!

Hashimoto's is an auto-immune disease just like Celiac is. It is very common for people to develop more than one auto-immune disease.

Yep there is a higher incidence of developing one if you have another. I had found an article in the Journal of Endocrinology that I took to my endocrinologist and that is how I got the tests ordered that led to my diagnosis. Basically the article stated that anyone with autoimmune thyroid problems, graves and hashimotos, should be screened for celiac.

Is there a connection between Hashimotos disease and Celiac disease?

Yes

And I would just like to add ; Welcome to these forums :)

Help! I was diagnosed with Hashimotos many years ago, have been on synthroid 250 mcg and 5 yrs ago added cytomel. July 17, 2010 went gluten free, November 3rd that year, diagnosed Celiac....but, Dr also checked my thyroid levels, said I went from hypo to hyper, so he cut my sythroid in half, left my cytomel at 50 mcg a day. this spring, legs became weak, tremors, anxiety....Dr said thyroid levels were still ok. In August this year, developed rash on legs, from top of foot to mid shin, hot, red but not itchy. went to ER, was told a rare auto immune disease, vascular, and gave me steroids. begged Dr to help me with weak leg muscles, he said "exercise". read up on hyperthyroid, I have some those symptoms, weak leg muscles, red rash, leg lumps, tremors......so I stopped taking 50 mcg of cytomel, I reduced it to 25 mcg. Legs are stronger, can go up stairs and walk the stores without feeling like I have to drag my feet, tremors stopped, rash went from red to pink, not a sign of anxiety......still have a little lump which Dr said if it doesn't grow or become painful, ignore it.

I have noticed my hair is better, split ends stopped, nails still brittle, but I feel I am on right track?

on another note, eye surgeon that told me I was developing cataract 2 1/2 yrs ago, examined me last week, said eyesight improved to 20/10. minimal to no growth on cataract in 2 1/2 yrs, contact Dr asked me what I had done (went gluten free) so contacts ordered in lesser strength. He didnt even know what gluten free was/

were you ever referred to a Rheumatologist to gt a proper diagnosis of the "rare auto-immune disease" with the rash? There are a few that can cause rash and your other symptoms that you describe that may not be attributed to your thyroid at all.