This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Possible Dh? - Years Of Uncertainty

Kelby

Kelby Rookie

Hey guys,

I have had a rash near my groin for years now. My doctors have never been able to put a finger on it (some calling it psoriasis, and others calling it eczema). I just recently read up about DH and I am wondering if that is maybe what I have. I am going to look more in depth into this, and post some pictures later (PG rated of course).

My question for you guys is, after having this rash for years, do you think it will ever go away fully? Or has the rash scarified by now?

Thanks!

KM

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Well, I assume you are gluten-free.

If the rash is still active, try going low iodine in addition to gluten-free.

If that shows relief of any type, there's a high likelihood it's DH.

Some people scar, some have white spots, some gave it disappear completely.

For info on a low iodine diet, google "thyca".

A low iodine diet short circuits the DH, and can provide fast relief. You can't stay on a low iodine diet forever, since your body needs it to function properly. A few months is about as long as I see advised. I've done it around a month now, and am adding back iodine foods in moderation with success (and no rash).

itchy Rookie

I suspect that experience varies, so I'll give you mine as one possibility.

After two years of gluten free diet, with some occasionally 'mistakes', most of the lesions have disappeared to the extent that they are difficult or impossible to detect. Some of them remain as raised and scaley patches. A few remain as active lesions, though not severe as they were (these are generally not in the places that were a problem initially). Occasionally I experience intense stinging from these latter two categories.

I haven't made any effort to limit my iodine intake, and I haven't taken any drugs.

I'm very careful about gluten in my diet but as I sometimes work in an environment where wheat is present, occasionally I have to trust others to tell me accurately what's in the food I'm eating, I can't be sure I'm not getting some gluten exposure.

Generally the condition is on a slow plane of improvement.

It's my impression that eventually, if I can maintain the gluten free diet, that my skin will not show any scarring. (That's a bit of a problem, because when I have had trouble convincing people about the seriousness of the gluten issue, I formerly showed them my lesions and my scars).

Jenniferxgfx Contributor

I've had all kinds of rashes over the years. In high school I had what looked a lot like inverse psoriasis in my groin and underarms. In hindsight I DO think it was gluten-related.

I've definitely found iodine makes all my skin troubles redder and angrier, so I recommend seeing if limiting iodine and cutting out gluten calms things down for you.

Welcome :)

lub2bmom Apprentice

I've had a rash that the doctors could not figure out what it was -- just recently I read up on DH and it has seriously, saved my life. I went gluten free in August 6th of this year and with it now being mid october, I am just now starting to be almost completely hive free. The hard part is realizing the secret gluten in things. It's not black and white as avoiding things that list as wheat, rye, or barley. It's been a learning journey the past couple months -- but one that I've found I cannot even touch anything with gluten in it. If i make a PBJ for my son -- within an hour or so i have hives on my hands. This week i put on nai lpolish that turned out to have gluten in it and a patch got on my right hand thanks to my lovely daughter ... i am now suffering the consequences of hives on that hand. Low iodine definitely helps -- worth trying. If i go low iodine the hives go away much faster. Good luck to you in your journey! DH is not a fun thing to have, but it is definitely controllable!

Archived