MoMof2Boyz

Below Normal Iga?

Rate this topic

what does this mean? total serum IgA by nephelometry(total IgA) 21

lab range:3-13 years 41-395 ds is 6.

Nephelometry is a means of measurement, in this case your son's total IgA production. The lab range for his age shows that a normal result would fall between 41 and 395. Since his result was only 21, he is IgA deficient and any celiac testing measuring IgA levels would not be accurate - they would have to use the IgG versions of the tests.

Nephelometry is a means of measurement, in this case your son's total IgA production. The lab range for his age shows that a normal result would fall between 41 and 395. Since his result was only 21, he is IgA deficient and any celiac testing measuring IgA levels would not be accurate - they would have to use the IgG versions of the tests.

Thank you so much for answering! Just one more quick question...tests done were DGP IgG, DGP IgA, TTG IgA, EMA IgA total IgA those results are low so they look fine to me but I can post the results if you need them, just wondering if I need to have different tests run??

Thank you so much for answering! Just one more quick question...tests done were DGP IgG, DGP IgA, TTG IgA, EMA IgA total IgA those results are low so they look fine to me but I can post the results if you need them, just wondering if I need to have different tests run??

All of the tests run (except the DGP IgG) were IgA tests and were therefore not valid results because he does not produce normal quantities of IgA.. The DGP is a pretty reliable celiac test and it would be interesting to know his DGP IgG score. I would also ask the doctor to run the tTG IgG and the EMA IgG. because of his low total serum IgA.

All of the tests run (except the DGP IgG) were IgA tests and were therefore not valid results because he does not produce normal quantities of IgA.. The DGP is a pretty reliable celiac test and it would be interesting to know his DGP IgG score. I would also ask the doctor to run the tTG IgG and the EMA IgG. because of his low total serum IgA.

hi again, thanks so much for the info. the(IgG) DGP IgG results are <0.4 (range 4.9)