scottyg354

Back To The Drawing Board

Rate this topic

My thyroid has been giving me alot of issues. After being up and down with my levels, I finally thought I was getting better, until I picked up my bloodwork yesterday. Last test I had drawn my TSH was @9.6 so my Levo dose was upped to .100 mcg. Please not my TSH levels elevated after my levo dose was cut in half mistakenly.

Anywho, I started on .100 mcg and felt great and thought I finally hit my right dosage, well wouldn't ya know it that eventually my back pain started creeping back, my fatigue started creeping back, stomach issues started creeping back, headaches, dizziness, boils are coming back blah.

I went to get my bloodwork yesterday and my buddy who is a phlebotomist (def not spelled right) picked up my labs at the end of the day for me. Well TSH is @ 6.1 which would explain the above symptoms, but now my calcium level is going low 276 bottom of the range was 278 I know its not much but I always thought minerals were supposed to be within the middle to upper ends of their ranges. My BUN levels are out of whack too High end of the range is @ 16 I was a 28 (probably due to my low carb/high protein diet).

Sugar was perfect @72 even after I ate a protein shake and a banana an hour earlier.

The calcium is the one that is concerning me. Is this normal. Between the stomach issues, the boils and now looking like I may be going defficient is driving me crazy, I was tested for Celiac and the only thing that came back slighltly elevated was the TTG IGg. I try to eat 1 or 2 servings of cheese a day as milk doesn't sit well with me, plus my daily protein shake which is made of whey has to have a decent amount of calcium.

What do you guys think? Do you think its my Thyroid causing all this or could there be another problem on top of me being Hypo? I'm still suspecting something that I am eating.

For starters, you cannot make inferences about something like calcium with only one lab result. It's too variable and you are essentially in the normal range. An easy thing to check is vitamin D. If that's low you can't absorb calcium very well. Low D is extremely common.

If the low-normal calcium has shown up repeatedly and your D is OK, you may have some lowered parathyroid function from having your whole endocrine system messed up by hypothyroidism. Hashimoto's autoimmunity can also mess with your parathyroid glands. The first thing for you and your doctor need to do is get your TSH down below 2.5 for a few months. Once your thyroid is working right, the rest of your endocrine system will often gradually recover normal function. That's the point at which you would start to look at other causes for consistently low-normal calcium.

You should be more concerned about the high BUN than lowish calcium. Again it could be an isolated odd measurement or you could have been a little dehydrated before the blood draw. What was your creatinine? You should review your BUN and creatinine with your doctor and make sure there is no cause for concern about your kidney function. High protein is OK if you have great kidneys, but it's not a good idea if your kidney function is a little reduced.

For starters, you cannot make inferences about something like calcium with only one lab result. It's too variable and you are essentially in the normal range. An easy thing to check is vitamin D. If that's low you can't absorb calcium very well. Low D is extremely common.

If the low-normal calcium has shown up repeatedly and your D is OK, you may have some lowered parathyroid function from having your whole endocrine system messed up by hypothyroidism. Hashimoto's autoimmunity can also mess with your parathyroid glands. The first thing for you and your doctor need to do is get your TSH down below 2.5 for a few months. Once your thyroid is working right, the rest of your endocrine system will often gradually recover normal function. That's the point at which you would start to look at other causes for consistently low-normal calcium.

You should be more concerned about the high BUN than lowish calcium. Again it could be an isolated odd measurement or you could have been a little dehydrated before the blood draw. What was your creatinine? You should review your BUN and creatinine with your doctor and make sure there is no cause for concern about your kidney function. High protein is OK if you have great kidneys, but it's not a good idea if your kidney function is a little reduced.

My BUN is usually normal. I think once it was like a point over. My Creatinine is always in the middle of the range. I think what cause my BUN to go up was that I drank a protein shake about an hour and half before blood work like a fool.

My BUN is usually normal. I think once it was like a point over. My Creatinine is always in the middle of the range. I think what cause my BUN to go up was that I drank a protein shake about an hour and half before blood work like a fool.

Fair enough! As long as it's usually normal and creatinine is good.

I bet things will sort themselves out once you're on enough thyroid.

This whole Autoimmune crap just gets annoying and sometimes really frustrating. Been doing this Thyroid deal for almost a year and im still not sorted out, and the stomach issues it is causing me are horrible. Not so much cramping but burning and noise and some odd Constipation.

I'm on a year and a half of low thyroid and really high Hashimoto's antibodies. I know what you mean about the autoimmune crap. It gets very old. My high cholesterol has finally fallen to normal, which is a good sign that my Dr. and I are finally on the right track.

I had a bit of an epiphany the other day. I'm wondering if the autoimmunity isn't a physical reflection of my tendency to be self-critical. Maybe because I'm hard on myself my immune system is following my mind's impulse. I know that sounds very odd but I'm trying to be kinder to myself and see if it helps.