lizdehart

Son Testing For Celiac - Q For Me?

Rate this topic

I tested negative for celiac with a Tissue Transglutaminase Ab, IgA of 6 in January of this year, symptoms were sudden onset joint pain, previous episode of thyroiditis amd 10+ years of "IBS".

My 5 year old son has been having issues off and on for months - stomach pains, constipation and allergy shiners culminating this past week with vomiting most everything he has eaten with the exception of potatoes and rice based cereal. His doctor ordered tests for h pylori, liver enzymes, serum IGA and Tissue Transglutimase Ab, IgA Reflex To Endomysial Ab, IgA Titer. His liver labs are good, the rest are pending.

My doctor did not order a serum IGA when I was tested. Would that skew my results? I have been off of gluten for a month or so at a time and felt pretty good but have a hard time sticking with it without a "diagnosis"

TIA.

The doctor didn't run the whole celiac panel on you or your son. Blood tests include: total IgA (validates the IgA testing, if deficient then tests are invalid), IgA/IgG tTG(tissue transglutaminase), IgA/IgG AGA(anti gliadin antibody), IgA/IgG DPG(deamidated gliadin antibody...newer tests, supposed to be more specific for celiac than the older IgA/IgG AGA), IgA/IgG EMA(Endomysial antibody). So for you, you would need all but the IgA tTG. Your son needs the IgA/IgG AGA and or the IgA/IgG DPG. If you want the rest of the testing you need to be consuming gluten. A month gluten free could definately skew the results as well as a low total IgA.

• Upvote 1

The doctor didn't run the whole celiac panel on you or your son. Blood tests include: total IgA (validates the IgA testing, if deficient then tests are invalid), IgA/IgG tTG(tissue transglutaminase), IgA/IgG AGA(anti gliadin antibody), IgA/IgG DPG(deamidated gliadin antibody...newer tests, supposed to be more specific for celiac than the older IgA/IgG AGA), IgA/IgG EMA(Endomysial antibody). So for you, you would need all but the IgA tTG. Your son needs the IgA/IgG AGA and or the IgA/IgG DPG. If you want the rest of the testing you need to be consuming gluten. A month gluten free could definately skew the results as well as a low total IgA.

The Serum IGA showed he had the antibodies, the IgA/IgG tTG(tissue transglutaminase) was 10 so they didn't run the IgA/IgG EMA. His H. Pylori was positive, though.

If you happen to be IgA deficient, yes it will skew your celiac results. You should ask your doctor for total IgA, and the newest deamidated gliadin tests. They are somewhat more sensitive than TTG.