softpretzel

After Recovering From Leaky Gut, Can You Start Eating Foods You Had Been Sensative To?

Rate this topic

After recovering from leaky gut, can you start eating foods you may have developed sensitivities to while you were recovering since they will no longer be able to enter your bloodstream as readily?

After recovering from leaky gut, can you start eating foods you may have developed sensitivities to while you were recovering since they will no longer be able to enter your bloodstream as readily?

I've never 'recovered' from sensitivity to sorbitol or other 'tol' sweetners (like mannitol, xylitol, etc.), even after 5 years free of 5 diagnosed allergens and 7 years free of gluten and dairy. Maybe I was one of those 'older adults' whose celiac lesions don't completely heal. I still get cramping pain when I'm bloated. (Maybe my gut lesions don't like being stretched.) I suspect a biopsy would show that I still have open lesions which allow 'leaky gut' reactions. Has anybody stopped being sensitive to sorbitol after biopsy showed their villi had healed?

Has anybody stopped being sensitive to sorbitol after biopsy showed their villi had healed?

According to my biopsy, my gut is looking awesome right now - no inflammation, no lesions, no blunted villi, and so on. While I have met some people who claim that they can now eat many foods they were unable to before, that has not yet been the case for me. All the foods I reacted to when I was first diagnosed still do bad things to my body. Perhaps it hasn't been long enough for me, however - it's been less than a year since I've completely healed, I believe.

I've never 'recovered' from sensitivity to sorbitol or other 'tol' sweetners (like mannitol, xylitol, etc.), even after 5 years free of 5 diagnosed allergens and 7 years free of gluten and dairy. Maybe I was one of those 'older adults' whose celiac lesions don't completely heal. I still get cramping pain when I'm bloated. (Maybe my gut lesions don't like being stretched.) I suspect a biopsy would show that I still have open lesions which allow 'leaky gut' reactions. Has anybody stopped being sensitive to sorbitol after biopsy showed their villi had healed?

You might be one of the Celiacs who reacts to corn and rice (the grains). You should get the corn and rice test offered by EnteroLab. If you still have inflammation this long after avoiding gluten, there is obviously something still irritating your body. Many people don't realize how intolerant they are to corn until they avoid it for 4 months. After you avoid it and let your body calm down, you will have the BIGGEST REACTION to corn when you re-introduce it to your diet. Then you might find you will be sensitive to eggs too... because the chickens are fed corn and soy. (And for those of you out there who say the chicken's feed does not end up in the eggs, it has been proven that chickens fed soy also have soy molecules in their eggs: http://etd.ohiolink.edu/view.cgi/Vargas%20Galdos%20Dante%20Miguel%20Marcial.pdf?osu1236706764 )

I recently read that article, too. Anectdotally, I was fine with eggs when we first introduced them. Then I started reacting to them. My partner recently suggested maybe that was because she had changed their feed to one including soy. (we are soy free because of the GAPS diet). We're going to change the feed back, give it a couple weeks, and try again. :)

I got stomachaches from cow casein and soy when I first went gluten-free. I also had a mild shellfish allergy. After a year or so gluten-free and on probiotics I was able to eat casein, soy, and shellfish again. I don't know exactly what happened as far as leaky gut, but I certainly had some dramatic changes in my food intolerances.