Robert M.

My Story Of Gluten Poisoning...

Rate this topic

Hello, my name is Robert. I'm new to this forum and to the gluten-free lifestyle. With your patience and understanding I'd like to offer my story of how I've arrived here today.

My problems started about a year ago, I started experiencing stomach pain and a rumbly stomach. At the time I figured it was just stress playing havoc with my tummy, like many folks, times have been tough for our family financially. I saw my doctor who immediately put me on Trazadone for stress, but, my symptoms only got worse. I developed horrible acid reflux and was taking prilosec like no tommorow, but the more I injested to help fix the problems the more my body rebelled. My agony came to a head about one month ago, the pain in my gut was almost unbearable, I developed horrible bowel movement patterns, I could barely make it to the restroom after meals on many occasions (sorry if that is too much info.)My joints ached, my fingers and hands would often have a tingling feeling,I had frequent headaches, my world was crumbling around me. Then, just about two weeks ago I began to notice "the fog". My brain felt like it had short- circuited, I was wondering through my life in a daze. I felt like I was detached, like I was looking at life through someone else's eyes. Well, that did it for me, panic set in deep, which only compounded the problem. I nearly had my wife take me to the emergency room one night after a severe attack of anxiety.

I had to do something, nothing that conventional medicine was offering was helping, in fact, it made things worse. I started fitting all the pieces together, I recalled that just before I started having many of these symptoms I had been on a low carb diet. I was amazed at how good I felt not eating bread, but, I didnt put 2 and 2 together at the time.I searched the web for clues and eventually began my gluten free journey.

And now I'm glad to say Ive been gluten free for 12 days and nearly all my symptoms have dissappeared, still have some minor reflux from time to time. I know my body needs more time to heal but if this is the best I get I can easily live with that.

I just wanted to share my story and would welcome comments from those who may have had similiar experiences.

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure many of us (me certainly) will be curious to know your age (sorry.. personal question but not nearly as bad as our digestive openness :lol:) , any change of diet/circumstances etc.

For example: I found that when I was short of money gluten seemed to fill the "gap"

2 weeks is a very quick "recovery" so be sure to stick with what is working for you. Try to avoid mistakes (or tempations) like I have NOT the past 4 months. They have set me back to the point where it is only the past month that has seen real (mostly mistake and definitely temptation-free) progress.

Di

Welcome Robert! Sounds like you found your answer and I wish you all the best in figuring out the diet and what works for you, we're all a little different in our own needs here and at the same time a great deal of wealth of info among us. If you have not had a vit and mineral bloodwork test, I would request that. It is very common for us to be deficient in certain areas which will cause many of our symptoms. I have been gluten-free for nearly 7 months, did have an ER trip back in Feb that set me on my journey, and doing so so much better. Progress is not over night but it is amazing how you will continue to get better as long as you stay away from the gluten.

Annette

Hi Robert,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure many of us (me certainly) will be curious to know your age (sorry.. personal question but not nearly as bad as our digestive openness :lol:) , any change of diet/circumstances etc.

For example: I found that when I was short of money gluten seemed to fill the "gap"

2 weeks is a very quick "recovery" so be sure to stick with what is working for you. Try to avoid mistakes (or tempations) like I have NOT the past 4 months. They have set me back to the point where it is only the past month that has seen real (mostly mistake and definitely temptation-free) progress.

Di

Hi there, Thanks for your reply. I am a very active 44 year old. Ive been very healthy my entire life (he says knocking on wood). And yes, 2 weeks is a short time but, I really dont consider myself "recovered" just yet. I realize that many people can have very fast relief from many of their symptoms, but, I also fully understand that the healing process could take many months. As far as "set backs", the only issue I've had is when my GI doctor told me that I needed to go back to eating gluten products so he could get the most accurate blood test results and for an endoscopy biopsy. The night after that appointment, I went home and had some pasta and bread for dinner. I got so sick that I had to miss work the next day. So, needless to say I immediately went back to being gluten free and have been fine since. I told the doctor that was all the clinical evidence I needed to confirm my Gluten intolerance. Now, I am able to stay on the diet quite easily because I know how horrible I will feel if I dont. Best of health to you.

Hi there, Thanks for your reply. I am a very active 44 year old. Ive been very healthy my entire life (he says knocking on wood). And yes, 2 weeks is a short time but, I really dont consider myself "recovered" just yet. I realize that many people can have very fast relief from many of their symptoms, but, I also fully understand that the healing process could take many months. As far as "set backs", the only issue I've had is when my GI doctor told me that I needed to go back to eating gluten products so he could get the most accurate blood test results and for an endoscopy biopsy. The night after that appointment, I went home and had some pasta and bread for dinner. I got so sick that I had to miss work the next day. So, needless to say I immediately went back to being gluten free and have been fine since. I told the doctor that was all the clinical evidence I needed to confirm my Gluten intolerance. Now, I am able to stay on the diet quite easily because I know how horrible I will feel if I dont. Best of health to you.

Good on you! Keep well and active!!

Best thing you could have done for yourself. Many of us have had to do the same. I made it to day 12 after being off and just was too sick to continue. Tests are not accurate in the first place and by continuing on the gluten you are only causing yourself more damage than good. I hope you continue to feel better!