brakkar

Gluten Intolerence, But Not Allergic, Possible ?

Rate this topic

Hi,

is it possible to be gluten intolerent, but not allergic to gluten ?

Hi,

What do you mean by "intolerant" vs "allergic"?

Even this is debated in the community. Which one are you and what are your gluten symptoms/signs etc? These tend to be more likely to incite some response.

I have DXed Celiac. Shortly after finding out I went through the bakery section of the grocery store and my throat started to close. I was having trouble breathing. It scared me so I made an appointment with my Allergist for food allergy testing. He did the pin-prick testing and I didn't get a reaction from any foods.

I asked him why I wouldn't have reacted to wheat, barley, rye, or soy when I get a reaction when I eat them. He said there is a kind of allergy or intollerance that they can't test for. An accurate test doesn't exist yet.

There's some controversy about the ELISA type blood allergy tests. Blood is taken and mixed with various foods/spices and they observe if there's a reaction. The problem with that sort of test is that it's almost impossible to get the clean, non-tainted samples to test.

http://www.betterhealthusa.com/public/282.cfm

I'm not celiac (blood test negative), possibly gluten intolerent: chronic constipation for years, now alternating with diarrhea, unexplained weight loss, chronic fatigue etc etc.... did a lot of blood and stool test (for parasites), examinations, but docs couldn't find a cause for my symptoms.

I was not confirmed celiac from blood test, and as the other poster, I was tested for wheat/gluten allergy with pin prick which returned negative.

So I was wondering if I could still suffer from gluten intolerance or not, and if a diet is worth to try.

So I was wondering if I could still suffer from gluten intolerance or not, and if a diet is worth to try.

Yes, and Yes.....a true, IgE, allergy to wheat has NOTHING to do with either gluten intolerance or Celiac disease.

Wheat/gluten allergy pin prick test is testing for a histamine response.

Gluten intolerance/sensitivity/celiac is an immune system response--not histamine.

Two different things.

Hi,

Not only possible, but extremely common. Allergy and gluten intolerance involve completely different parts of the immune system.