LuvQuints

Genetic Testing

Rate this topic

If genetic tests reveal a person has the celiac genes AND the patient is symptomatic (i.e., iron deficiency anemia, GI symptoms, hives, etc), is it safe to assume it is likely celiac?

I'd add one more thing - see if the person responds well to a gluten free diet, and badly to reintroducing gluten. Of course before going gluten free it would be good to get a celiac panel (blood test) done, since you can't do it gluten free.

The problem with just assuming it's celiac is that there could be other things wrong as well/instead that could be missed. Of course that could happen anyway.

If you are going to go without a diagnosis by blood/endoscopy you will also need to be able to take it very seriously and deal with doctors, schools, some family not believing you.

We went gluten-free before learning about celiac testing and I regret it. I know gluten-free is right for my son but I'd thought it didn't really matter for me. Now I know gluten-free is good for me and I'm realizing more symptoms I had in the past and that return from time to time. My genetic risk is slim but present. I'm actually considering a gluten challenge at this point.

If genetic tests reveal a person has the celiac genes AND the patient is symptomatic (i.e., iron deficiency anemia, GI symptoms, hives, etc), is it safe to assume it is likely celiac?

No, gluten intolerance is far more common than celiac.

You can't make any assumptions based on genetics. 30% of the US population has a so-called celiac gene. The genes are not sufficient to cause celiac. Gluten intolerance can look very much like celiac, so the person needs blood tests & biopsy, and then a trial of the gluten-free diet.

Also, hives are an allergic symptom, not a celiac symptom. You may be dealing with a wheat allergy.