dantheman123

Isn't A Food Allergy Test Enough?

Rate this topic

I suspect that I have at least a gluten intolerance, if not Celiac itself. My blood test recently showed I don't have Celiac, but of course I know that it's not 100% conclusive. I suspect more strongly that I may just be gluten intolerant, without being a full blown Celiac.

Either way, I got a food intolerance blood work done, and the results will be in in a couple of weeks. I was thinking, why get a biopsy when you can just get this blood work done, and that will show you if you're intolerant or not? The way I see it, being gluten intolerant and having Celiac are really the same thing, even if Celiac is a bit more serious, the general symptoms are the same, and the treatment is the same.

I suspect that I have at least a gluten intolerance, if not Celiac itself. My blood test recently showed I don't have Celiac, but of course I know that it's not 100% conclusive. I suspect more strongly that I may just be gluten intolerant, without being a full blown Celiac.

Either way, I got a food intolerance blood work done, and the results will be in in a couple of weeks. I was thinking, why get a biopsy when you can just get this blood work done, and that will show you if you're intolerant or not? The way I see it, being gluten intolerant and having Celiac are really the same thing, even if Celiac is a bit more serious, the general symptoms are the same, and the treatment is the same.

Allergy testing is not the same thing as intolerance testing.....actually, I don't think there is a test for intolerance, except the diet.

Allergy testing is not the same thing as intolerance testing.....actually, I don't think there is a test for intolerance, except the diet.

I tested positive for an allergy to gluten at this point through an IgE test, my doctor said that you can test positive for IgE with celiac also, so we are doing a celiac panel to see which it is. If I test negative for celiac, then I will have tested positive for a gluten allergy. But that isn't intolerance, its a true allergy test.

I think intolerance, means you test negative for both an allergy and celiace, but yet your symptoms resolve on a gluten-free diet.

If you had the ELISA food intollerance tests done with blood and tested against samples of various things, there is some question about the accuracy of them. The sample foods tested could have contaminents, and give false readings.

Also, an intollerance is different from an immune reaction to a food, like Celiac.

With intollerances a slip here or there in your diet might give some symptoms, but not engage your immune system which could cause serious damage to your intestines and other parts of your body as well.

I tested positive for an allergy to gluten at this point through an IgE test, my doctor said that you can test positive for IgE with celiac also, so we are doing a celiac panel to see which it is. If I test negative for celiac, then I will have tested positive for a gluten allergy. But that isn't intolerance, its a true allergy test.

I think intolerance, means you test negative for both an allergy and celiace, but yet your symptoms resolve on a gluten-free diet.

No, won't be positive on the IgE testing just because you are celiac. Two different classes of antibodies are involved. So, if you are positive on IgE, you have a classic allergy. If you also test positive on celiac testing, then you ALSO have celiac. Two different reactions to the same protein. Two reasons to remain wheat/gluten free.