dantheman123

Does Gi/celiac Have The Same Symptoms As A Thyroid Imbalance?

Rate this topic

I have somewhat of a hyperactive thyroid, but apparently not hyper enough to warrant treatment. I'm just wondering if a gluten intolerance could cause the same symptoms, those symptoms being heart paliptations/faster rate, sweating, nervousness, heat/cold intolerance, redness of face and hands, and trouble concentrating.

Also, is it possible to have a gluten intolerance but not have any resulting stomach/bowel problems? Because I have never felt sick to my stomach or had indigestion/diarrhea when eating gluten. Does that rule me out?

I don't think it rules you out of Gluten Intolerance OR Celiac.

There are over 300 symptoms...I was sick long before I got gastrointestinal symptoms.

There are neurological, dermatological and gastrointestinal symptoms of Celiac.

My younger sister is very sensitive to gluten and she describes heart palpitations and sweating and feeling feverish on any traces of cross contamination. I was very very sick before diagnosis...I too, had heart palpitations, nervousness, heat/cold intolerance, sweating or freezing but never comfortable.....but they went away after getting off of gluten. I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis diagnosed 6 months after Celiac ...but I never get those symptoms. My TSH is being monitored and I'm not on any medication because it is still in a normal range...Therefore...I can only attribute those symptoms to gluten. I'm one year gluten free and all of those symptoms have resolved. The only one you describe that I didn't have was reddened face... It wasn't my thyroid...it was gluten. Get off the gluten and see if it helps your symptoms....it may take a while. Also, plese get checked...the heart isn't something to mess with. I always registered with afibrillation...but it was mild (to the Dr.) but it wasn't mild to me at all.... good luck

I have somewhat of a hyperactive thyroid, but apparently not hyper enough to warrant treatment. I'm just wondering if a gluten intolerance could cause the same symptoms, those symptoms being heart paliptations/faster rate, sweating, nervousness, heat/cold intolerance, redness of face and hands, and trouble concentrating.

Also, is it possible to have a gluten intolerance but not have any resulting stomach/bowel problems? Because I have never felt sick to my stomach or had indigestion/diarrhea when eating gluten. Does that rule me out?

Yes, and yes.

My hypo and gluten symptoms overlap a great deal. I never once noticed myself getting sick eating gluten.

Now, I get a "rock in the stomach" feeling from something (I assume gluten), neuro symptoms, and skin issues from gluten. It also messes with my adrenals/blood sugar. None of this was ever obvious - I never ate a piece of bread and "wham", had any symptoms hit.

Heck, it still isn't obvious... Since I haven't "caught" an obvious gluten experience. But hmmm... No gluten = no rash for the first time in over 2 years!