This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anger Issues

lemontree1

lemontree1 Rookie

My 11 year old sometimes has horrible outbursts, screaming and yelling and sometimes even banging her head against things. A year ago I thought it was part of her growing up, and felt sorry she had to go through such a horrible trial. Now I'm thinking this really is her reaction to gluten.

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and a wheat allergy about a month and a half ago. I asked to have my children tested and they only ran one blood test on each child, which all came out negative. I'm really tired of fighting doctors over these issues and what I want, so I decided to give the two older children a choice to see if they notice a difference in any of their issues. They both decided to go for it. The only issue I've noticed with the 11 year old is the angry outbursts, and she is a little overweight, carrying it in her belly (I don't even know if either are really symptoms. The 8 year old has had tummy issues and bowel issues on and off, plus she is skinny and hasn't grown as fast as her sisters (She wears about the same size clothes as her 5 year old sister). The five year old sometimes gets canker sores, but with her I can't press the issue.

My husband thinks if I talk about wheat causing any problems, I'm going to cause our kids to be hypochondriacs. He has GI issues that I think are wheat caused as well, but he won't listen to me about it, and believes his only issue is an inherited weak sphincter, causing acid reflux. So, he doesn't like the fact there are three of us gluten free. Maybe he's just in denial. I know we're all tired of fighting with MY medical problems, but I really don't want my children to go through any of the stuff I've had to over the years, when it can be prevented.

Back to the 11 year old. She has actually been really sweet and almost no outbursts the last couple of weeks. A couple days ago, she started having outbursts again. I only realized this morning that it was about the same time I started having anxiety, rapid heartbeat and more extreme acid reflux/swollen tongue. It seems like a pretty strong correlation that we have been getting cross contaminated lately. I think the rice I bought (bulk, I know it was stupid) had some flour or something in it. I ground it up and used it to make bread and pizza the last few days.

I'm going to scrub out my grain mill really well. I bought some new grains-- bulk but in 25lb bags this time so there's no risk of CC from the other bulk items. I'm going to have to be a lot more careful now. I really hate going through all of this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lizzy59 Newbie

I know what you mean about fighting with doctors--I'm trying to get my initial diagnosis, and it's difficult.

I can't imagine how hard it is to feed a family when some are celiac and some are not, but rest assured you're doing a great job as a mom. Good luck to you!

misslexi Apprentice

If you're the one doing the cooking, I'd just start making every meal gluten free...family should be supportive of you. Homemade gluten free stuff isn't that difficult to make taste good. Your older kids want to try it, will your youngest really be able to tell the difference if no one makes a big deal out of it?

Maybe you shouldn't tell your kids that their problems are caused by wheat, I don't know. But at the very least you can tell them that not eating it anymore should make everyone feel a little better. If it clears up their tummy troubles, or other problems...thats fantastic. You can teach them about how to eat gluten free outside your home because it's healthier.

Maybe your husband is in denial...so much of what we normally eat is wheat based. If he doesn't have issues eating wheat, that means he can keep eating everything and anything...if he has seen the struggles you've gone through trying to become gluten free, i think that would push him even further into denial about the possibility of it being his problem as well.

But can anyone get mad at you for changing your family's diet to make them healthier? I don't think so. If you make that the focus, and it just happens to be gluten free because thats what YOU need to be healthy...thats just better for everyone right?

By the way, when I've eaten gluten I get extremely irritable and I'm prone to wicked tempermental outbursts that are completely outside my control. There is no reason your daughter isn't the same.

Roda Rising Star

Did you use the grain mill for wheat or other gluten containing grains prior to going gluten free? This may well be another source of cross contamination. I would be hesitant to use it. I don't know how well they can be cleaned.

The first sign, aside from a belly ache, my almost 7 year old has when he accidently gets gluten is raging temper tantrums. Before gluten free it was an almost daily occurance, but very rarely has them unless he gets glutened.

sa1937 Community Regular

I don't have a grain mill but I think it might be very iffy. I know they're really expensive. If you want to keep it, I think I'd be tempted to clean it as thoroughly as possible and then run a pound or more of the cheapest white rice I could find through it. And then throw that white rice flour away. Still iffy but might work depending on how sensitive you are.

• 1 month later...
revenant Enthusiast

Yes! It most certainly could be. I used to have horrible anger episodes when I was on all of my intolerance foods. I remember once I even took a knife to my mom's bed and stabbed the crap out of it, and I used to fanasize and seriously consider stabbing her. (That sounds insane, don't worry I'm not like that now lol)

I also used to bang my head against walls and hit my head really hard repeatedly. It seemed like something I could not prevent, I just had to do it and it felt really good to do. Have not had a single urge to do that since a year and a half ago when I went off of gluten, and other intolerances like dairy, corn, soy, eggs.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

I had anger issues too. Internal seething anger for no reason at all...and sometimes (cringe) anger outbursts for no reason at all. All gone when gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

researchmomma Contributor

I have a 12 yo who we are trying to get a diagnosis for. Doctors are very frustrating. However, we are going gluten free regardless as soon as the last test is ordered. We did a gluten free trial of two weeks and about 7 days in, I had a very sweet 12 year old who stopped fighting with her brother, listened to reason, did her chores without complaint and had less stomach aches. We were instructed to put her on gluten because she is small and has delayed puberty and the endocrinologist would like her scoped in order to prove to me that she needs to be on prilosec and to make me feel better by getting a negative biopsy for Celiac. :unsure: They want her on high dose prilosec but I am convinced that she is gluten intolerant. So to your question about anger: YES. My daughter is back to throwing major tantrums. She "spins in circles" when she is trying to discuss something (and is yelling). She recognizes this is gluten related. She told me last night that she really wants the biopsy (we will see if they grant it) and then she can't wait to go gluten free because she felt sooooo much better. So I say your anxiety and the angry outbursts are gluten related.

researchmomma Contributor

Let me add something that is very helpful that one of the moderators here suggested. Make a list of your kid's medical issues (physical and emotional) and cross them off as they disappear on a GFD. We did and my husband (who is a skeptic) was really shocked by what went away after just two weeks and what came back on a glutenous diet.

Archived