First Step

Medication And Symptoms

Rate this topic

I'm a 45 y/o female and I am pretty sure I've finally found out what's been wrong with me since my 20s. After spending the last two days sleeping on the bathroom floor, I just had to look for some answers. Symptoms: migraines, severe abdominal pain both upper and lower, chronic nausea, voracious appetite, bloating, edema in hands, ankles and feet, intermittent severe hair loss, diarrhea/constipation, restless leg syndrome/periodic limb movement disorder for which I am severely medicated (maxed out on Pramipaxole and Neurontin and it doesn't work), neuropathy, GERD (script strength Protonix (doesn't work), hospitalized several times with vomiting for no known reason, gestational diabetes resulting in loss of child full term and anorexia during pregnancy (not from lack of eating, but because no medicine could keep me from vomiting with diarrhea), gallstones and had gallbladder removed, acne (onset in late 20s and I take spironolactone to treat) long, heavy periods, debilitating tiredness, chronic joint pain, NASH (fatty liver biopsied and diagnosed), depression... I'm also northern European descent. I've never written it all down before. After reading others symptoms I started realizing what I thought were unrelated issues that they seem pretty dead on here. :( I do not have insurance and am going to begin the gluten free diet 2moro. Wish me luck! It would be nice to finally understand it's not the quality of life I have to accept.

What alerted me to this was taking my son to see a neurologist for possible seizures. The doc wanted to test for metabolic issues as they are common in children with Down Syndrome which he has. He also has a lot of my symptoms as well. A 72 hour study will be conducted before Christmas to replicate his brain activity during his nerve disturbances which are daily, as are mine. I did not know that vitamin deficiencies could effect you that way as well.

Very overwhelmed and looking for opinions and advice... Has anyone been able to eliminate medications to treat symptoms once going gluten free? The side effects are often daunting on their own.

I know it's a long post. It's been many years of frustration condensed...thanks!

You do sound like you are in the right place. Is there any way you can get tested before you begin the diet? If you start the diet it will be hard to get a diagnosis without making yourself very ill if you later decide you want an official diagnosis. I can't answer for all but for me the diet did take care of my need for all the many meds I was on prediagnosis.

It sounds like your son does have insurance so do be sure to ask them to run a celiac panel on him.

I hope you've figured out your issues! If you can afford it, get one of these home tests before you go gluten-free. http://www.glutenpro.com/ Once you go gluten-free you cannot be tested for celiac without making yourself sick all over again with gluten. It's good to know whether you're gluten intolerant or celiac.

I went off a lot of psych meds gluten-free because the gluten affected my mind. The diet can make a huge difference if you're celiac.

You do sound like you are in the right place. Is there any way you can get tested before you begin the diet? If you start the diet it will be hard to get a diagnosis without making yourself very ill if you later decide you want an official diagnosis. I can't answer for all but for me the diet did take care of my need for all the many meds I was on prediagnosis.

Thank you for responding. Oddly enough I was looking up why I immediately fall asleep after eating and it can be a very small meal and it linked me back to this site. Seems like it is destined...lol.

No to the test. I've been laid off for over a year. Right now I don't feel well enough to do anything. The only real treatment is diet anyway, correct?

Do you know what is the worst damage caused by someone failing to follow the gluten free lifestyle. Kind of wondering if I've caused long term damage...

I hope you've figured out your issues! If you can afford it, get one of these home tests before you go gluten-free. http://www.glutenpro.com/ Once you go gluten-free you cannot be tested for celiac without making yourself sick all over again with gluten. It's good to know whether you're gluten intolerant or celiac.

I went off a lot of psych meds gluten-free because the gluten affected my mind. The diet can make a huge difference if you're celiac.

I had no idea there was a home test! Ordering it now!!!!

THANK YOU!