This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bursitis And Ra

saintmaybe

saintmaybe Collaborator

So I got a diagnosis of bursitis of the hip yesterday, as well as mild hypermobility. My question is, how did the doctor rule out RA if she didn't run any blood tests for at least ANA's when bursitis is a symptom of RA? Honest question here. Full disclosure, I have a heavily physical job so it can easily be an Overuse injury unrelated to celiac. She seemed skeptical but at least open to celiac/ malabsorption issues.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Since any ---"itis" means inflammation (I know because I have a bunch myself: osteoarthritis, sacroiilitis, glossitis, blepharitis...blah blah blah) why wouldn't it be related to celiac malabsorption? Could very well be.

I do not know how you could RULE OUT RA if she did not do any testing.

Sed rate, C-reactive protein, ANA??? These would be done.

My hips have calcifications, too. Bummer. Hurts pretty good, doesn't it? Sorry kiddo. :(

Maybe your pain will decrease off gluten? :)

Hypermobility is something else, however. Here is what I read when a friend told me she had "loose joints":

"In some people, hypermobility causes joint pain and results in a higher incidence of dislocations, sprains and secondary osteoarthritis. Doctors refer to this as benign hypermobility syndrome. In benign hypermobility syndrome, the ligaments that provide joint stability are loose and weak. This increases the risk of ligament injury or strain and can cause pain."

What did your doc say about it?

lynnelise Apprentice

I too have been diagnosed with bursitis of the hip. Of course this was only after negative ANA and Rheumatoid factor. I'm really not certain how they could rule that out without the bloodwork though. Even with the bloodwork being negative she advised continued monitoring of the condition as there are sero-negative cases.

saintmaybe Collaborator

Since any ---"itis" means inflammation (I know because I have a bunch myself: osteoarthritis, sacroiilitis, glossitis, blepharitis...blah blah blah) why wouldn't it be related to celiac malabsorption? Could very well be.

I do not know how you could RULE OUT RA if she did not do any testing.

Sed rate, C-reactive protein, ANA??? These would be done.

My hips have calcifications, too. Bummer. Hurts pretty good, doesn't it? Sorry kiddo. :(

Maybe your pain will decrease off gluten? :)

Hypermobility is something else, however. Here is what I read when a friend told me she had "loose joints":

"In some people, hypermobility causes joint pain and results in a higher incidence of dislocations, sprains and secondary osteoarthritis. Doctors refer to this as benign hypermobility syndrome. In benign hypermobility syndrome, the ligaments that provide joint stability are loose and weak. This increases the risk of ligament injury or strain and can cause pain."

What did your doc say about it?

Yeah, the bursitis hurt quite a bit. I finally gave in and got the cortisone shot in my hip. I realize this is just a mask and the inflammation can come back, but I couldn't sleep and I couldn't work! Doctors might suck, and ordinarily I prefer natural, but meds are okay when the situation calls for it.

The hypermobility clusters with celiac (which I learned from our own ravenwoodglass), so I'm not surprised. The doctor encouraged me to go to a GI and get officially diagnosed, but I'm not going back on wheat for anything. I was near death when I finally got off it. She also said get a job where I don't walk seven miles a day and lift heavy things, with which I heartily agree!

The Doctor made some good points, and she seemed to think I need to fire my PCP though she didn't come right out and say it. But overall it still felt like one of those "backing away from the cray cray hypochondriac" meetings. So frustrating!

saintmaybe Collaborator

I too have been diagnosed with bursitis of the hip. Of course this was only after negative ANA and Rheumatoid factor. I'm really not certain how they could rule that out without the bloodwork though. Even with the bloodwork being negative she advised continued monitoring of the condition as there are sero-negative cases.

That's good to know that I should be keeping an eye on it. Maybe I'll get my PCP to throw in an ANA and RF next spring just for giggles.

mushroom Proficient

That's good to know that I should be keeping an eye on it. Maybe I'll get my PCP to throw in an ANA and RF next spring just for giggles.

Don't forget the C-reactive protein (CRP) and sed rate. :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Don't forget the C-reactive protein (CRP) and sed rate. :)

DITTO from moi. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived