lizzy59

Am I Going Crazy? Could This Be Gluten-Related?

Rate this topic

When I first figured out that I might be gluten intolerant/celiac, I cut down my gluten intake about 90%. I was working toward total elimination, but then decided to pursue a diagnosis. If I didn't get it, I would then give gluten up completely and see how I felt.

Since I wanted a diagnosis, I went back to my regular, gluten-loaded diet, and all you-know-what broke loose. I've always been an anxious person, but for the first time in my life, I began having panic attacks (went to the ER because I thought I was having a heart attack!) and times where my face would feel hot (no fever, though). My legs periodically felt weak and shaky, and I even have swollen lymph nodes. Can any or all of this be related to gluten? (Especially considering that I never was totally gluten-free, but had just cut down dramatically for a few weeks before resuming a "normal" diet so that I could be tested.)

I had the upper endoscopy on Friday, and am awaiting the results, but I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced similar problems related to gluten.

Yes, I am sure that even going really gluten lite could provoke a stronger reaction from the body. You didn't say for how long you were gluten lite, but obviously long enough to give your body a bit of a breather and regain strength to come back to the attack with renewed vigor. :D People who go off gluten entirely and then do a gluten challenge for testing most often do not make it through the entire glutening period - it is just too painful.

Good luck on your endo results. :)

I believe going gluten light can have an impact. I was inadvertantly gluten light for about 10-11 months out of the 16 months I breastfed my youngest son. I had eliminated all dairy, oats, rice and tree nuts out of my diet because he had problems. I ate a lot of fresh meat, fruits and veggies. I did eat pasta and bread on occasion. The biggest thing I gave up was baked goods because most had dairy in them. I did not know about gluten at the time. I felt WONDERFUL! About 3 months after I added back in all the things I eliminated, yes I went hog wild too, I started having symptoms and they were not GI related, they came later. It took another 2.5 years to get diagnosed with celiac. I don't know where I would be today had I not "accidently" went gluten light during that time. My body went crazy after I started eating my full regular diet, enough to eventually lead to the celiac diagnosis. In hindsite I really think my youngest son was celiac as a baby too. Of all the things I fed him, he could not tolerate rice or oat cereal, I gave him barley cereal. No wonder his reflux never improved..... He did test negative on blood work at 3 but was positive at age 5.

Yes this is very similar to my symptoms. I was so anxious and having "panic attacks" along with depression. I literally was thinking about the possiblity of being insane or being possessed by demons I was so off. Once I went of the gluten things started to balance out. Im still struggling with recovery but you just have to stay strong and be patient!

I am so relieved to read these comments b/c I am having psychological symptoms that I believe, or hope, to be celiac-related. So, this last episode sent me searching for a doctor who had good reviews/comments online, which finally brought a blood test that proved that I was gluten-intolerant. It started with constipation that would not be relieved with laxatives (I mean seriously, wtf?). Then, when I pretty much cut out everything besides fresh veggies, I started having diarrhea. I got my positive diagnosis, so I went back to eating meat and dairy but no gluten(not sure if I should stop dairy or not at this point), and my stomach started feeling a bit better, but not totally. However, the anger issues started at the beginning of this episode, then I just felt weak, run-down, and anxiety-ridden. Then, I began feeling annoyed by all human presence around me. My fiancee, who is a very good man, very loving, is being so supportive. However, I have been mean and distant to him. I don't want to be touched by him or anyone else right now. I cried on my way to work today about it, and I almost never cry. I decided that I must be depressed, but I'm going to talk to my doc about it. I'm also hurting all over my body, and I'm so freaking tired. I drank Emergent C today, which had lots of B vitamins as well as vitamin C, and that seemed to help with my energy. I still just feel miserable even though my stomach is starting to feel less horrible as I am stringent with this diet. I hope all of this is celiac, and from what I have read, the disease does render several psychological symptoms. I have had bouts of depression and anxiety since I hit puberty, but here lately, it is by far the worst it's ever been. Please tell me, those who have been on the gluten free diet for a long time, that these symptoms get better? :(

Thanks everyone for your replies...I appreciate them so much!

Mushroom, I'd say I was "gluten lite" for about three weeks. (Now that I'm having these symptoms, I wish I'd kept better records!)

Desi83, I'm sorry to hear about all you're going through, but from what I've read, there are some psychological symptoms that can go along with this. Please keep me posted on how you're doing, and whether or not going gluten-free eventually alleviates your symptoms.

Desi83, dear, i dont know if i understand the right thing, but i need to tell you that celiac disease may cause many gastrointestinal and extraintestinal symptoms, including also psychological ones, but the most common youve mentioned are the weakness, and irritability, and also cognitive symptoms (tethargy, memory losse, etc.)

its important that you go to your doctor, and do the correct exams to screen celiac disease or another disease.

I give you an example: my husband had a (mis)diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome, and everytime he ate vegetables, salads, he had diarrhea, so didnt eat them a long tima ago, until we started the Gluten free diet because of our son, and after this, taking out ALL GLUTEN FROM THEIR DIETS, now he is eating salads with no problems... This issue is important, eating less gluten is the samething of eating a gluten diet.

THE ONLY DIET THAT WORKS IS NO GLUTEN, EVEN A SMALL AMOUNT, because a small amount of gluten works like a poison for the celiacs and people that have intolerance.

In my case, i dont have nor celiac disease nor gluten intilerance, i can eat breads or gluten-food, nothing happens. But my hubby and son, see what happened this weekend:

after 3 weeks on Gluten free diet (MY HUSB AND SON), we went to a japanese restaurant we trust, they bring to us the shoyo-gluten-free to our table, but we forget this detail about the shimegi plate... that was prepared - probable, with a gluten-shoyo, and my hubby ate it... you cant believe: when we arrived at home, after 3 weeks free of diarrhea, my husband had a huge diarrhea, just like the time he was with the "irritable bowel syndrome" - liquid-green diarrhea.

so, we have to feel what we eat, how we fell, and how this affect our body.

But first, we have to do the correct tests, with physician counseling, to, then, start some diet recommendation.

Rgds,

mara

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to the doctor on Wednesday, where I will hopefully get more answers. I have not had any gluten that I am aware of since being told that I tested positive for celiac disease from the blood test. I have been so miserable that even going to work is becoming difficult, so rather than wait for however long the doc will take to confirm with more tests that it is celiac, I'm doing the diet on my own as best as I can. However, right now, everything that I eat makes me hurt for an hour or more afterwards. The difference is that the last couple of times I remember eating something with gluten, I was up all night with stomach cramps and did not have normal bowel movements. Now,I just have a stomach ache and feel lethargic for an hour or two, but then I'm okay other than still feeling tired. I even told my fiancee that he needs to use mouth wash after he eats before he kisses me just in case he eats a gluten product lol. I'm a runner, and I can't run anymore. I hate feeling like some kind of invalid. I guess it takes time to heal even if it truly is Celiac disease; it'll take a long time of eating right, so we'll see.