NoodleUnit

Endoscopy Afte Effects?

Rate this topic

Hi all

Wondering if anyone has had any odd after effects after the endoscopy procedure. I had mine yesterday, and was given some sort of amnesic sedative, which didn't seem to make me feel calm at all and didn't really erase much of the memories of the procedure. I remember a lot of it, and a great deal of it I truly wish I could forget.

However, as time went on, after the endoscopy I started to feel woozy and detached. My short term memory also started to fade slightly and this has continued today. I can recall what I did today, but it requires an effort of will almost, like it didnt happen today, more like i'm having to recall memories from months ago. I've had several senior moments, for example I don't recall in the slightest getting my house keys off the hook yet they were in my pocket after I searched for ages for them. I also walked past my daughter's after-school club, having forgotten that that was why I was out of the house in the first place.

On top of that I have a persistent, terrible headache, and a very sore neck... Could that be from the way I was held during the procedure?

As I'm sure you can understand, it's pretty scary right now not being fully in control.

Edit: as an additional piece of info, I've had to come back and edit this post several times in order for it to make sense. This is not normal for me. Aaaand I just noticed I screwed up the title. :rolleyes:

Edited by NoodleUnit

You may want to call your doctors office and ask to speak to a nurse. It sounds like the anesthesia may still be in your system. Use extreme caution if you have to drive and if you can avoid driving for at least today that might be good. Also be sure to tell the doctor that it was not effective when it should have been so if you need to have a procedure that commonly uses the drug he used they can choose something different.

Thanks Ravenwoodglass, I very much agree it's still in my system which is alarming as I was told that I would feel fine when I woke up this morning. It's now well past the 24 hours that i was assured was all it would take to get out of my system and I still feel decidedly out of it.

If I still feel bad tomorrow I'll be contacting my local practice.

Just a heads up. Feeling infinitely more with it today. Had a couple of odd missing time moments this morning but since this afternoon I've been fine. Still got the sore neck though.

Thanks for the advice.

I would guess it was Versed, some persons don't do well with that drug. A fair amount of controversy about it. There are other drugs that can be subbed. good luck

Just a heads up. Feeling infinitely more with it today. Had a couple of odd missing time moments this morning but since this afternoon I've been fine. Still got the sore neck though.

Thanks for the advice.

Glad to hear it! After my gastroscopy and colonoscopy I felt a bit off for a couple of days but definitely no pain or anything, thankfully. It was certainly not enough to prevent me from doing my usual activities so it is sad to hear of experiences such as yours.

Hopefully you will be 100% by tomorrow. :)