MyMississippi

No Noodles- Now What ?

Rate this topic

Can't find any Tinkyada lasagna noodles anywhere--- Need them for Friday. In case I don't find them by then, has anyone tried to layer some Tinkyada penne pasta in place of the lasagna noodles.??? Wonder how this would work ?

Also, there are plenty of De Boles lasagna noodles out there---- anyone had success with them ?

I have a hard time finding lasagna noodle, too. I was thinking of making the lasagna with layers of penne instead. It would have the flavor of lasagna but be more like a casserole or baked pasta. I don't think I have used Deboles lasagna but the other ones were fine. Scar makes a tagliatelle ( like a short linguine) noodle which is very thin if you think the penne might be too much noodle.

Okay, this may sound weird...but a friend of mine used a mandolin slicer to slice patty-pan squash (you know, the light green-colored squashes that look like flying saucers) in thin slices instead of using lasagna noodles. He let the slices "sweat" on paper towels for a few hours before layering them, and he said the lasagna came out great. Another friend tried this same method, but she used large zucchinis from her yard, and she also said that it was the best lasagna she'd ever eaten--and her friends who'd come to dinner agreed.

Ener-G also makes gluten-free lasagna noodles, but if you can't find the Tinkiyada ones, then you probably can't find the Ener-G ones either. Honestly, though, the squash seems to work just fine in a pinch. Just make sure the slices are thin and that you "sweat" out the extra liquid using paper towels.

Okay, this may sound weird...but a friend of mine used a mandolin slicer to slice patty-pan squash (you know, the light green-colored squashes that look like flying saucers) in thin slices instead of using lasagna noodles. He let the slices "sweat" on paper towels for a few hours before layering them, and he said the lasagna came out great. Another friend tried this same method, but she used large zucchinis from her yard, and she also said that it was the best lasagna she'd ever eaten--and her friends who'd come to dinner agreed.

Ener-G also makes gluten-free lasagna noodles, but if you can't find the Tinkiyada ones, then you probably can't find the Ener-G ones either. Honestly, though, the squash seems to work just fine in a pinch. Just make sure the slices are thin and that you "sweat" out the extra liquid using paper towels.

Great idea. When I slice veg for similar dishes using my mandoline, I also sprinkle the veg with salt to help draw out the moisture even further. It is amazing how much water vegetables contain! I simply sprinkle with salt and place in a fine mesh strainer for a few hours.

I'd suggest making your own lasagne sheets but it sounds as though this is a rush job. ;)

Thanks, Love2travel! I forgot about the salt! My friends had both mentioned it, but I'd forgotten.

I make a ( lazy- man) lasagnas with Tinkyada penne cooked very al-dente first. Worked fine for me. Try a small batch see how you like it.

I do baked penne as well. I can't find gluten-free lasagne noodles very often.

I was just going to suggest this!

I've had pasta salad made with zucchini "noodles", and I recently saw a recipe for lasagna using squash noodles.

I've made lasagne with cabbage leaves or cabbage slices, and it comes out much better than you would ever expect.

Though not for lasagne, I make "pasta" from carrot, zucchini, turnip, asparagus, parsnip "ribbons" (mandoline) to mix with homemade pasta. Lovely.

What great ideas everyone ------ since I mostly eat low carb--- can't wait to try the veg in place of the noodles ! ! ! :) Thanks ! !

Baked ziti (you can substitute penne) is pretty much the same ingredients as lasagna, but instead of layering everything you just mix it all together and then bake. Cooked pasta, ricotta, mozzarella, sauce, grated parm or Romano on top. Doesn't get much easier and tastes the same.