Irishgirl76

Eating Gluten Without Contaminating House?

Rate this topic

Hello,

My daughter had her endoscopy yesterday after her very positive bloodwork a couple weeks ago. I started her gluten-free diet immediately, and have already de-glutenized the house. The problem is that my endoscopy is still 3 weeks away so I have to keep eating gluten. Anyone have any suggestions as to the best way to do that without contaminating my house? I don't want to do bread because it's impossible to keep those crumbs contained... and I already ditched the toaster. :) I was thinking crackers or something but not sure how many I'd have to eat a day to be sure I'm getting enough gluten. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Alissa

Can you eat bread at work, or do you not work outside the house?

For a gluten challenge the recommendations are at least 0,3 grams gluten per kg, but hte latest recommendations I have seen is 0,5 grams per kg per day.

When I did the math and weighed the bread last time, it was half a bread for my weight and the bread available.

Here we can also buy gluten powder and add it to bread dough but I have to take the whole kitchen machine into the garage and mix the flour and water there, as I get DH rashes from using any flour inside the house. I just poured the bread batter into pans without any more kneading the last time I baked for hubby (I had some spelt bread mix left that I wanted to use up)

As for crumbs, he slices the bread on just one cutting board and usually takes the bread with him to work so the crumbs are just in one area . But it would be easier with no bread in the house.

what about the really wheat laden cereals like Shredded Wheat or Triscuits crackers. We keep the gluten bread on its own counter away from everything else.

I just did a gluten challenge and did end up glutenong my son a couple times :( once was because I accidentally used his toothbrush!!!

I was very careful.

I do not recommend the gluten powder. I took it outside and it got everywhere. I tried to add it to food but I couldn't handle it, it made me nearly vomit immediately.

I started with farina which worked well. I had it in one specific container and used one small pot nothing like our others. I ate directly from the pot. I sometimes added berries to it. This was great except I had to eat 167 grams to get 20 grams of gluten and I got really sick of it after a couple weeks.

Mini pretzels were good because I could put the whole thing in my mouth at once and chew with my mouth closed. That's a lot of salt, though.

I did eat bread - again the quantities seem huge! Look for the highest gluten content you can find! I used paper towels where I was eating, and cleaned up after. Crumbs are crazy.

To find out how much gluten is in a bread product look at the protein content by serving and figure it that way.

Pasta worked pretty well, too. I used my gluten pot and drained it with the lid, being careful not to splash, then washed out the sink.

Thanks, guys. :)

Today I bought some Shreddies, Triscuits and pretzels. lol. Stuff I would normaly never buy (not big on processed foods!) but hey, you do what you've gotta do. I'll be glad when the biopsy is done!

I'm in the same boat. My 16 y.o. had her biopsy on the 19th, and we went gluten free the next day. That is, we got rid of all the food, checked all the labels, etc. I'm working my way through things like cleaning out the silverware and utensil drawers, scrubbing and relining them... we have a new toaster and cutting boards... I haven't yet replaced tupperware or pans.

Meanwhile my endoscopy is on Feb. 7th. The last loaf of bread is mine, mine, mine! :lol: I'm being careful to lay it on a paper towel and not double-dip with the butter knife or anything. I'm also indulging in those last unhealthy drive-thru hamburger lunches while the kids are at school. I went to Frost donuts the other day (which I NEVER do because doughnuts are evil, sinful and wonderful bad for you). Just call it a farewell song to donuts.

lol - I did the same thing! Hit the fasr food drive thru the other day (something I would normally never do!) but I figured hey, why not. When I'm home I have to sneak the wheat, as my kids are only 7, 5, and 3 and don't understand why I'm still eating it but they can't.

I vote for cereal. Its one of the two gluten items I allow in the house. It generally stays in the bowl (9 year old eating it).

And beer, if you like beer. Hubs doesn't generally spill his precious beer.

• Upvote 1