lc1333

Actually Competent Celiac Docs In The Seattle Area?

Rate this topic

so, seeing how my GI doc is completely incompetent, AND i have to get my kids tested now, does anybody know of any good docs in the Seattle area???

so, seeing how my GI doc is completely incompetent, AND i have to get my kids tested now, does anybody know of any good docs in the Seattle area???

I've had good results with the IBS Treatment Center in North Seattle. (Rather than diagose your symptoms as "IBS", they look for causes of IBS symptoms, which they believe are caused by gluten intolerance, other food allergies, gut dysbiosis or bacterial, parasitic or fungal infections, among other things).

My current doctor is affiliated with the Tahoma clinic, which has a clinic in Renton and one in Lake City in North Seattle. (If you want to go beyond a celiac/gluten intolerance diagnosis and diagnose and treat other complications, esp. from long undiagnosed celiac disease, I'd recommend Tahoma Clinic docs.)

We're just in the process, and we were referred to David Susskind at Seattle Children's hospital, a pediatric GI doc. He's reputed to be the best, and we've certainly found him to be very competent, kind, and knowledgeable about celiac. Also really seems to listen and give you a chance to air your questions and opinions. My 16 y.o. presented with dermatitis herpetiformus, and her Everett Clinic dermatologist referred us to him. Since then I've heard two other people, one a doctor and one, a friend of mine, a director at a big asthma clinic, tell me that he's the best in the area.

He gave us the choice of whether or not to do an endoscopy with her. (we went ahead and did it). He's done thousands of them, and it went very well. He usually takes 6 biopsies, but being extra careful, he took 8 with her. It just came back a few days ago, positive. He's got us set up to meet with a dietician for extra help with the diet. Just overall very pleased with the staff and treatment there.

My younger two had positive bloodwork (though not as strongly positive as their sister) and we chose not to get them scoped, and he thought that was fine, since we are all going gluten-free anyway. They will remain under the care of their regular pediatrician at Everett Clinic (Cheryl Beighle, who we love) unless they develop complications that they need to be seen at Children's for.

Meanwhile my doc referred me to an Everett Clinic GI, Lonny Hecker. I've only met him once, at my consultation, but I was really impressed. Again, he seems very knowledgeable, and he says he pretty much tests everybody who comes through his office, because he's found that around 40% of everybody at a GI doc's office has celiac, even if they're not looking for that diagnosis. I'm getting an endoscopy on Tuesday.

Good luck with your search! We feel like we've been very lucky so far.

thanks for the input y'all, here we go....