kagm

Thought I Was Gluten Free

Rate this topic

So, I thought I had been really good about being gluten free, but I kept feeling sick. I got the results from another test back and the doctor said, "there is no way you are gluten free. You have to be religious." My doctor totally thinks I have celiac because all of my blood tests are positive, but my gastro was like, "well, it's hard to say because your biopsy was normal." My doctor was like, "who cares? This blood test is definitive. So be gluten free."

Thoughts?

Do you have a copy of these positive blood tests? Maybe you should post which tests and what the numbers were. How long have you been gluten-free? The antibodies can take quite awhile to go down.

If you are still feeling sick you may have gluten sneaking in somewhere. It is best to go with whole unprocessed food as that will cut out a lot of the CC risk. Have you taken the precautions in your home that you need to take, not sharing condiments, nut butters etc with gluten eaters, not baking with wheat flour for others, your own toaster, new strainers, new cutting boards etc.

If you are still feeling sick you may have gluten sneaking in somewhere. It is best to go with whole unprocessed food as that will cut out a lot of the CC risk. Have you taken the precautions in your home that you need to take, not sharing condiments, nut butters etc with gluten eaters, not baking with wheat flour for others, your own toaster, new strainers, new cutting boards etc.

I have been gluten free for like 8 months now, so there shouldn't be more gluten in my diet, but I have NOT taken any precautions. I think I just didn't take it seriously enough. It seems overwhelming to me because I have a 4 and a 6 year old. I am constantly cooking for other people.

Oh my...at least do not cook with wheat flour. It can become airborne and hang in the air where you breathe it and then swallow it. And there are a million ways to get contaminated in a shared kitchen. Shared pots and pans, collanders, toasters, food surfaces, towels, dishes, spoons cutting boards. Your food needs to be kept totally separate.

Yeah, even in small amounts I get sick. I have to cook and eat everything separate too. One thing I do, I cook for my mother and myself, is that I cook gluten free stuff for the both of us. She doesn't really care either way. But if she did, I'd have to be really careful and sanitize everything and keep it separate. Also yeah I mostly go with fresh produced and rarely have processed foods outside of cereal. It's easier to be super safe than to keep eating bits of gluten everywhere hidden.

It depends on how sensitive you are. I know people who cook gluten for others without issues. My son and I stayed sick until we made our household gluten free. Even when I didn't touch any gluten dishes, I still had problems. I would definitely not use flour and mentioned above.

I have a 5 and 4 year old...I cook gluten free for them. Buy gluten-free mac n cheese, gluten-free brownies, Rice, gluten-free Chex. There are a lot of ways around gluten, even for kids! Smoothies! If you have it chances are your kids might have it too anyways, its certaintly not going to hurt them to be gluten free.