scottyg354

Celiac Or Ibs

Rate this topic

Ok guys, this is going to be a little straight forward and gross but I am going to post anyways. I can't seem to get an answer anywhere and I know you guys are always great and helpful.First off I want to start by saying I am hypothyroid. I have recently been feeling decent compared to how I have been. Maybe because I started back up on an AD until all this crap is over. Fatigue hasn't been bad recently, but my stomach problems are still consistent. I have always been under the suspicion I have underlying Celiac. I had the whole blood panel done and the only thing that was mildly elevated was my Giladin/Gluten IgG. Anyways, some of my symptoms are Upper Left Abdominal Pain, Burning Nausea in stomach, constipation (with occasional diarrhea), stool come out tan to very light tan almost skin tone (the gross part lol) I'm not sure if that is whats considered clay color or not, very rank flatulence, I also have white spots on my front teeth. Does this sound like Celiac or something else, I had a colonoscopy and everything there was good except for one polyp. I am feeling decent, except for these digestive issues, and an IBS diagnosis is the final one I am will to take.

When I initially had the panel done I was pretty much on a gluten free diet for about a week or two. I wasn't being too careful about cross contamination or anything, but I wasn't eating any gluten containing foods, which I now understand can screw up the panel results. Anyways, I brought this up to the doc and he wants to wait and see if things clear up after my thyroid is totally adjusted. He said he would like to try the Gluten Free Diet if things persist. I have been back on gluten for a while now and was wondering if you guys think it would be worth it for me to ask for another panel before going gluten free again?

One other thing. I have been having foamy urine lately. No protein in my urine, BUN and Creatinine are perfect. Only thing that was elevated besides my Thyroid was my ALT and Blood Protein, ALT elevated by 20, I think it was at 92 and my blood protein by .8 it was at 9. Any of this sound familiar?

I cannot imagine going gluten-free for a week is going to screw up the test results. That being said, did you feel better not eating gluten? Get the panel re-done (and note that many people here get negatives but still get better eating the gluten-free diet, either false negatives or a non celiac gluten intolerance). Regardless of the result, I would give gluten-free a really good try. The gliadin antibodies do indicate some intolerance to wheat, although I believe the test is not THAT specific.

My ALT was also raised and I believe this is a liver enzyme that can increase in Celiacs (but of course, can probably increase with a ton of other things).

Good Luck!

Ada

You are hypo but have you been tested for Hashimoto's??

Do you need a "official" celiac diagnoses??

You are hypo but have you been tested for Hashimoto's??

Do you need a "official" celiac diagnoses??

Haven't been tested for Hashi's doc said he is pretty sure thats what it is as I'm not converting T4 well. Anyhow if I said a week I apologize I was off for about 2 or 3 weeks. I would just like to get a diagnosis either way for peace of mind. And I'm not going to lie, I do enjoy a good craft beer and if I find out its not wheat then I won't have to worry about it, but I don't want to be doing damage to my body.

Haven't been tested for Hashi's doc said he is pretty sure thats what it is as I'm not converting T4 well. Anyhow if I said a week I apologize I was off for about 2 or 3 weeks. I would just like to get a diagnosis either way for peace of mind. And I'm not going to lie, I do enjoy a good craft beer and if I find out its not wheat then I won't have to worry about it, but I don't want to be doing damage to my body.

Being off gluten for two to three weeks will effect your blood test.

If your want to be tested again stay on gluten for at least three months before retesting.

Has your doc mentioned doing an endoscopy ?

Being off gluten for two to three weeks will effect your blood test.

If your want to be tested again stay on gluten for at least three months before retesting.

Has your doc mentioned doing an endoscopy ?

No note yet. He is really pushing for me to try the diet and see results which I will probably end up doing. But I have been back on Gluten for a while. The thing that got me thinking was a few months ago I went low carb. I felt great physically for the couple weeks I was on it, but I felt that I needed the carbs for energy,the minute I added carbs back in all this crap started again. I figured I would stay on the carbs for a while and push to get another test. I do understand that people with thyroid disease also don't do well with gluten, so maybe it would be beneficial if I do the diet regardless of diagnosis.

No note yet. He is really pushing for me to try the diet and see results which I will probably end up doing. But I have been back on Gluten for a while. The thing that got me thinking was a few months ago I went low carb. I felt great physically for the couple weeks I was on it, but I felt that I needed the carbs for energy,the minute I added carbs back in all this crap started again. I figured I would stay on the carbs for a while and push to get another test. I do understand that people with thyroid disease also don't do well with gluten, so maybe it would be beneficial if I do the diet regardless of diagnosis.

There are plenty of gluten free carbs.

I do better on a mod to high carb diet.I find I have much more energy then when I am low carb.

And yes,since IBS,Hashimoto's and of course celiac all respond to a gluten free diet,it would be beneficial to do the diet regardless of diagnosis

I appreciate your responses. Hopefully I figure something out soon. Had a colonoscopy so I am assuming that could rule out chrons and UC.