kitgordon

Thyroid Questions

Rate this topic

Hi all. My doctor did a thyroid panel on me last week, and it came back that one of the hormones is very slightly elevated. So she wants me to see an endocrinologist. I don't know whether or not I'll need medication, but I was hoping some of you experts could let me know which thyroid medications are gluten free. I'd like to go into the appointment with a list of meds I can take if necessary, as I have little hope of the doctor being up on that info.

Also curious if anyone has a great endocrinologist in or near Bergen County, NJ. Thanks!

Hi,

All the thyroid meds I have taken have been gluten free. They contain corn starch as a binder... if you have to take meds it's still best to check it out for sure though.

My daughter takes the generic, levothyroxine. It's gluten free.

Hi all. My doctor did a thyroid panel on me last week, and it came back that one of the hormones is very slightly elevated. So she wants me to see an endocrinologist. I don't know whether or not I'll need medication, but I was hoping some of you experts could let me know which thyroid medications are gluten free. I'd like to go into the appointment with a list of meds I can take if necessary, as I have little hope of the doctor being up on that info.

Also curious if anyone has a great endocrinologist in or near Bergen County, NJ. Thanks!

If your TSH hormone result is elevated, you will need thyroid replacement supplement, like those mentioned. However, if your other hormones (T4 or T3) is elevated, you may need a different treatment.

All thyroid meds are gluten free. However, some contain lactose (Synthroid, a T4 replacement, is one). Others contain sucrose, which may not be a problem, unless you have a cane sugar allergy (I do). You might google thyroid drugs and look at the ingredients in all of them. If you don't tolerate lactose, tell your doc which drugs have lactose ingredients, which you can't take. I took Levoxyl (King Pharmacy), which was free of lactose and sucrose. However, now I just take generic liothyronine (a T3 replacement).

Thank you. It is the TSH that is elevated. Good to hear no one has had problems with the meds. I am still waiting for my appointment with the endocrinologist. Lactose is not a problem for me.

If your TSH hormone result is elevated, you will need thyroid replacement supplement, like those mentioned. However, if your other hormones (T4 or T3) is elevated, you may need a different treatment.

All thyroid meds are gluten free. However, some contain lactose (Synthroid, a T4 replacement, is one). Others contain sucrose, which may not be a problem, unless you have a cane sugar allergy (I do). You might google thyroid drugs and look at the ingredients in all of them. If you don't tolerate lactose, tell your doc which drugs have lactose ingredients, which you can't take. I took Levoxyl (King Pharmacy), which was free of lactose and sucrose. However, now I just take generic liothyronine (a T3 replacement).

burdee...I am just curiuos ....why do you choose the generic T3 over brand? Why did you decide to only take T3 and how much do you take? I currently take 55mcg of cytomel and 25 mcg of synthroid. I am thinking of stopping the T4 all together.