This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help Me Decide Whether I Should Eat Eggs Or Not

kaygato

kaygato Explorer

I'm on an elimination diet reccommended by a holistic doctor. It was by elisa labs and I reacted to a lot of foods. I'll admit I've slacked off in some areas (I've had a few things that contained soy, corn, and egg) because I though gluten dairy was more of my problem.

Anyway, I've already cheated and had eggs several times and I'm feeling like allowing myself to have them will help me stick to the rest of my diet. Part of my issue is they're in basically every baking recipe, and I worry that using an egg substitute won't taste as good. My mother suggested I use egg whites, but I don't know if that's a good idea since I reacted to the yolk. I also worry that a friend or family member will bake something for me, and will forget that I can't have eggs. Gluten and dairy seem easier for someone to remember than eggs.

Can anyone help me? Am I just being stupid and sabotaging my diet?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kaygato Explorer

Just realized I probably posted this in the wrong section. This should be in Other Food Intolerance and Leaky Gut Issues, I think. Is there a way I can move it?

AVR1962 Collaborator

I'm on an elimination diet reccommended by a holistic doctor. It was by elisa labs and I reacted to a lot of foods. I'll admit I've slacked off in some areas (I've had a few things that contained soy, corn, and egg) because I though gluten dairy was more of my problem.

Anyway, I've already cheated and had eggs several times and I'm feeling like allowing myself to have them will help me stick to the rest of my diet. Part of my issue is they're in basically every baking recipe, and I worry that using an egg substitute won't taste as good. My mother suggested I use egg whites, but I don't know if that's a good idea since I reacted to the yolk. I also worry that a friend or family member will bake something for me, and will forget that I can't have eggs. Gluten and dairy seem easier for someone to remember than eggs.

Egg substitutes really are not bad tasting at all. If it is the yoke that you are having issues with perhaps sticking with the white is a good idea. I personally don't care for yokes and will eliminate them many times and I think they taste fine.

You mentioned doing a test thur Elisa Labs, did your Holistic doc agree with the results and have you been able to follow it? I think testing is probably your best option in finding out what is creating the trouble. I perosnlly ahve gotten quite tired of the guess games myself and am going to be doing the same.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Anyway, I've already cheated and had eggs several times and I'm feeling like allowing myself to have them will help me stick to the rest of my diet.

How did your body react when you had the eggs? If you want to add them back you might want to eat them, in pure form not in anything else, for a week and see how you feel. When you do this don't cheat with anything else that you are not supposed to be having or you won't know if your reacting to the eggs or the other items. If after a week on ONLY your safe foods with the egg addition if you have no reaction then IMHO you can leave them in.

Skylark Collaborator

I'd personally eliminate them strictly for two weeks, then add back and see how I felt.

burdee Enthusiast

I've read the elimination diet that comes with the ELISA booklet. You didn't say whether you actually took the ELISA (blood) test for IgE, IgA and IgG mediated allergies. You just said you react to a lot of foods. Did you use the elimination diet to determine which foods bother you? Or did you actually take the ELISA blood test for food allergies?

Juliebove Rising Star

I guess it would depend on the symptoms. Eggs make me violently sick to my stomach. So I avoid them.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

revenant Enthusiast

I agree with Skylark, eliminate them completely for 2 weeks then eat a lot of them and see how you feel that day and the next 2 days. I read in a trusted online newsletter that all people react strongly in an inflammatory response to eggs, but I don't have any studies to prove it, but I'm wary of them. Either way, see how you react. I would still do the 2 week thing, but it's also worth keeping in mind that the yolk seems to draw out a response from the body more than the whites of eggs

Skylark Collaborator

I agree with Skylark, eliminate them completely for 2 weeks then eat a lot of them and see how you feel that day and the next 2 days. I read in a trusted online newsletter that all people react strongly in an inflammatory response to eggs, but I don't have any studies to prove it, but I'm wary of them. Either way, see how you react. I would still do the 2 week thing, but it's also worth keeping in mind that the yolk seems to draw out a response from the body more than the whites of eggs

You might start trusting that online newsletter a little less. If anything, the lecithin in egg yolks would be anti-inflammatory. Eggs are a pretty common allergen so perhaps that's what confused the newsletter author?

GottaSki Mentor

I just finished six months of very strict elimination diet.

Egg was the very first item I trialed and the only item that I kept in my diet during the rest of my trials...loved eggs scrambled with different vegies a few times a week.

Guess I figured it was a great addition to my meat/vegi/fruit diet. I'd agree with remove eggs for at least a week or two - then eat just eggs for breakfast and maybe a hard boiled egg with lunch - if no reaction I'd guess eggs are safe for you.

Good Luck!

Nadia2009 Enthusiast

I wish I could help you but I am new to this as well. I just got my Elisa IgG food test from US biotek back and I am intolerant to eggs too.

Archived