arac101

Confused And Concerned: Very Dark Stool?

Rate this topic

Hi everyone,

I stumbled across this forum when I was googling the symptoms of Celiac, many of which would fit pretty well. Over the last year or so, I've had

- frequent bloating after meals

- some small fiber peripheral neuropathy

- fatigue

Earlier this week, I ate more gluten-rich foods than usual, and sure enough, I felt EXTREMELY bloated afterward.

But I've just noticed that my stools today have been very dark, maybe even black. I know that 'black, tarry stool' is supposed to be a sign of blood, but I don't really know if mine has the texture of tar. I'm really scared at the moment and looking for a second opinion.

I'm pretty young (19) and so I guess it's unlikely that blood would be due to colon cancer or something, but it's always possible, so I'm looking for some advice.

I have a doctor's appointment on Friday - do you think it's okay to wait that long? I've been noticing the darkish stool for a while, but I've only just realized that it might be something serious. If it matters, it's not always dark; I go through periods of normal stools and being constipated with this kind of dark stool. Does this sound more like IBS or something?

Thanks so much. Any advice is appreciated.

Sometimes dark stools are because of something you ate. Red wine, blue, green or black food coloring. Might be some others. Just a thought, if you've been eating corn chips in fun colors or something like that. We had black ones for black and gold school colors - scary poops for days.

Sometimes dark stools are because of something you ate. Red wine, blue, green or black food coloring. Might be some others. Just a thought, if you've been eating corn chips in fun colors or something like that. We had black ones for black and gold school colors - scary poops for days.

I don't think I've eaten anything like this lately, and it's been happening periodically for a while - but I'll definitely keep an eye out!

I think Friday is fine unless you start feeling very poorly and then maybe go to urgent care.

Keep eating gluten and ask for the Total Celiac Panel.

Keep us posted.

If you start feeling worse or acquire new symptoms, go in. Though I, too, think waiting till Friday would be alright.

Do ask for the complete celiac panel however, keep in mind that the blood tests they do are very good at determining whether you have celiac, but not good at ruling it out. Before you give the gluten-free diet a try (if you decide to) make sure you have gone through all the celiac related tests you'd like to have (as they are not accurate if you are off of gluten)!

Best wishes and keep us posted.

~Laura

Thanks so much, everyone. I'll stay on the same level of gluten as usual and let you know.

Thanks again - I really really appreciate it!

Taking iron supplements can also cause dark stools.