This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

No Weight Loss After Being Gluten Free 10 Months

SarahJimMarcy

SarahJimMarcy Apprentice

When we went gluten free, everyone said, "Oh, you'll lose a lot of weight then." Great!

I did go down a size, but that was just from not being inflamed on a daily basis anymore. I can even wear pants with a zipper and belt without pain now!

But, I have not lost a single pound. This is really disappointing!

I have been training for a 5K but is that not enough? Do I need to consider giving up another food group, such as dairy?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dani nero Community Regular

When we went gluten free, everyone said, "Oh, you'll lose a lot of weight then." Great!

I did go down a size, but that was just from not being inflamed on a daily basis anymore. I can even wear pants with a zipper and belt without pain now!

But, I have not lost a single pound. This is really disappointing!

I have been training for a 5K but is that not enough? Do I need to consider giving up another food group, such as dairy?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

From what I gathered by other posters, weight does not have to be linked to gluten intolerance. It more depends on the individual and how they react to gluten. I also don't lose weight :-)

rosetapper23 Explorer

Yes, unfortunately, weightloss does not go hand in hand with a gluten-free diet. Oftentimes gluten-free foods that are processed have a lot of unhealthy ingredients in them. If you're eating a whole-food diet, though, just be sure that you are getting enough healthy saturated fats. A lot of people are afraid to eat them because they equate eating fat with getting fat, but this is simply not true. I wish our government would begin to present accurate information to the public rather than information that fattens the pockets of food manufacturers.

By healthy saturated fats, I mean organic butter, olives, nuts and nut butters, and avocados. You should always pair these types of fats with healthy carbs and proteins. Weight problems can be a result of eating too many carbs, and this particularly happens when we eat too much fruit and drink too much fruit juice. Contrary to what food companies would have us believe, sugar is sugar--and it raises our glucose levels, which causes insulin to flood our bodies and pack away the calories as fat. So...fat is not your enemy, but sugar most definitely is. You might try lowering your fruit intake and raising your fat intake--I think you'll be happily surprised by the results.

By the way, this information can be found in the book "Primal Body, Primal Mind" by Nora Gedgaudas--best book on diet that I've ever read in my life. It changed my life, actually, since I'd been trying to lose weight for years because my diet was largely comprised of fruits and vegetables....and I had cut out all the fats. By changing my diet as I've indicated above, I've been steadily losing weight and feel great.

Di2011 Enthusiast

IMO Sugar would be the first consideration. and then going as close to whole food as you can. I think the best idea is stick to the outer aisle of the supermarket - veg, fruit, meats/seafood.

I rarely use the middle aisles of the supermarket and I was losing so much weight that I had to consider how to add calories. After nearly 40 years overweight that sure was hard to get my head around. I always have fruit on hand so when I get hungry I eat it rather than other "handy" stuff.

The only processed food I eat is, occasionally, rice noodles and rice cakes/crackers.

And I am slowly adapting my menu/cooking to add in spices that I was not familiar with. I use pure cream and butter often - but in moderation - to replace sauces/gravy etc. (And this is what added the calories).

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Grains.

Better yet grains and sugar.

give them both up and you will lose weight and feel great.

Mark's Daily Apple.com if you don't want to buy a primalbook. All the information is there.

Down from 180 to 110 and loving every minute of it.

DH/Celiac gluten free for one year and half.

Grain free for 6 months.

Archived