Rate this topic

i started my daughter on a gluten free diet 5 days ago, she was feeling great until today. she started complaining of her stomach and head hurting again....i have been really careful what i give her to eat. i did however make some gluten free bread for the first time last night and today she had her first gluten free macaroni and cheese, i took the cheese packet from a kraft mac and cheese box and used gluten free rice noodles.....that is the only 2 different things i have done today, could it be one of those things that i fed her that did this to her???

First, Welcome! It will get easier as you go on, I promise :)

I used the mac and cheese packet from kraft all the time...a simple indulgence I have :)

Have you checked your pots and pans? Gluten can get stuck everywhere! It can hide in the baking, your pot, and your colander you used. The colander/strainer is a very hard thing to completely clean. Many people buy all new pots, pans, spatulas, etc...

First, Welcome! It will get easier as you go on, I promise :)

I used the mac and cheese packet from kraft all the time...a simple indulgence I have :)

Have you checked your pots and pans? Gluten can get stuck everywhere! It can hide in the baking, your pot, and your colander you used. The colander/strainer is a very hard thing to completely clean. Many people buy all new pots, pans, spatulas, etc...

I didn't think about the pot! Maybe that is what it is from, she has also been very gassy since last night....she has always been gassy but got better the first few days now it's back.

Did you use the colander to drain the noodles? Was it the same one you used for gluten noodles? Colanders are really hard to get everything out of each hole.

i started my daughter on a gluten free diet 5 days ago, she was feeling great until today. she started complaining of her stomach and head hurting again....i have been really careful what i give her to eat. i did however make some gluten free bread for the first time last night and today she had her first gluten free macaroni and cheese, i took the cheese packet from a kraft mac and cheese box and used gluten free rice noodles.....that is the only 2 different things i have done today, could it be one of those things that i fed her that did this to her???

First did you get new colanders /strainer as mentioned above this is an item almost impossible to decontaminate fully ?

Although the cheese packet contents are gluten-free, the pasta that it was boxed is in not. Could any pasta crumbs have gotten into your pasta ?

Has she had Gluten free bread prior to you making this loaf ? If not some people have reactions to xantham gum ! which brand was it you made ?

First did you get new colanders /strainer as mentioned above this is an item almost impossible to decontaminate fully ?

Although the cheese packet contents are gluten-free, the pasta that it was boxed is in not. Could any pasta crumbs have gotten into your pasta ?

Has she had Gluten free bread prior to you making this loaf ? If not some people have reactions to xantham gum ! which brand was it you made ?

I bought a new colander, and the bread was bobs red mill brand...

In the beginning, lots of weird things are going to happen. Don't sweat the single occurrence, look for patterns.

I'd watch milk, assuming that Mac n cheese has milk in it not soy, etc. or, it could just be one of those days.

• Upvote 1

My first thought is the Kraft cheese packet since it was touching the pasta - maybe some cc. Annie's makes a gluten free boxed mac and cheese - I get mine in Target for a lot cheaper than the grocery store. Also Amy's has a frozen gluten-free mac and cheese that we keep in the freezer for emergency dinners.

I use the packet from regular mac and cheese all the time time without a problem because I don't care for Amy's noodles. I am also super sensitive and never have any problems just because the outside of the packet touches the noodles.

Well she did much better today, she did get a headache but no stomachache and she was not gassy all day. She had gluten free, milk free pancakes for breakfast, salad with ham and carrots for lunch, kettle chips for a snack and rice and beans with raisins for dinner and kinninick(sp?) gluten free cookies for dessert.