This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need To Vent, Having A Hard Time

sharilee

sharilee Rookie

I was doing fine with all the gluten filled goodies people bring into work. But this week it is really bothering me. It is not that there are more goodies this week than any other week but I am bothered by it more. I want to literally scream to my co-workers stop talking about food all the time and the next time to have a pizza party. Today I wanted to throw the chocolate cake in the trash that was sitting in the kitchen. Then today they are arranging two teams for a contest on Monday, and the winner gets pizza.

I am not sure why it is bothering me so much this week. Maybe it is finally hitting me that my whole life and way of eating has changed (I was diagnosed in late February 2012). Or this week after still having problems I cut out caesin, lactose, soy, etc (will be adding those back in later to see what may be also causing problems) and I am only eating naturally gluten free foods (so I can't have gluten free brownie).

Thanks for listening. I just needed to vent to people who understand.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BabsV Enthusiast

Awwww, I'm so sorry. We've all been there and it is really tough. It does get easier over time but this feeling has reared its ugly on me at totally unexpected times...I was reading a novel about a cooking competition and I almost couldn't finish it!

Anyway, come and vent here. You are among friends. :)

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I'm sorry. It sucks.

I know you're trying not to, but if you could have a gluten-free brownie I'm sure it would help. Goodness, if I didn't have my crutches when going gluten-free my head would have popped!

Would a King Arthur flour mix / cocoa brownie fit your diet right now?

Sorry, I am an enabler....

Christine0125 Contributor

I was diagnosed about the same time and I'm having my ups and downs as well and can totally relate. I feel a little over-consumed by the diet if that makes sense... seems my life is revolving around it right now. I'm hoping it just feels like the new normal after awhile. They say eventually the gluten filled foods won't appeal at all - wonder when that will happen.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I was diagnosed about the same time and I'm having my ups and downs as well and can totally relate. I feel a little over-consumed by the diet if that makes sense... seems my life is revolving around it right now. I'm hoping it just feels like the new normal after awhile. They say eventually the gluten filled foods won't appeal at all - wonder when that will happen.

After a good glutening.

Sorry....but if you get into it and have a major reaction you'll start creeping around it like its the embodiment of The Plague.

I'd get DH from it - so I wore my gluten like a banner.

Physical disfigurement goes a long way. But so does a debilitating stomach ache, urgent D when there's no bathroom, or a crushing migraine that leaves you unable to function in public.

So yeah - unfortunately gluten will stop looking good once you make an association with pain. Probably :).

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I was doing fine with all the gluten filled goodies people bring into work. But this week it is really bothering me. It is not that there are more goodies this week than any other week but I am bothered by it more. I want to literally scream to my co-workers stop talking about food all the time and the next time to have a pizza party. Today I wanted to throw the chocolate cake in the trash that was sitting in the kitchen. Then today they are arranging two teams for a contest on Monday, and the winner gets pizza.

I am not sure why it is bothering me so much this week. Maybe it is finally hitting me that my whole life and way of eating has changed (I was diagnosed in late February 2012). Or this week after still having problems I cut out caesin, lactose, soy, etc (will be adding those back in later to see what may be also causing problems) and I am only eating naturally gluten free foods (so I can't have gluten free brownie).

Thanks for listening. I just needed to vent to people who understand.

I can relate!

I have trouble even reading the magazines I have subscriptions to. They're filled with recipes I can't eat, and photos of the most yummy looking foods! Even watching tv in the evening, with all of the food commercials gets to me sometimes.

I can just imagine how hard it would be to have the offending item right there, where you can smell it! :o

Metoo Enthusiast

After a good glutening.

So yeah - unfortunately gluten will stop looking good once you make an association with pain. Probably :).

Ditto THIS! After my 1st glutening....I never craved another thing in the cafeteria.. (I have DH and its so painful and terribly annoying while healing).

You will get to a point you stop craving things....in the meantime though, buy yourself some Chebe Pizza Crust Mix. This was a craving lifesaver for me...I can now make pizza anytime I want it at home, and its less than $5 a pizza! If I start feeling bad about not being able to have things (like today everyone in my department went out to eat, and I didn't even though I wanted to because the place was a really unsafe place for me to eat, or even drink (brewery))...so tonight I am making pizza!!!

And buy a bag of brownie mix too...I have 2 at home...and although I don't eat them, it makes me feel better I have that choice if I wanted to.

About feeling bad...make sure you stop eating oats, even if they are gluten free. That was a major problem for me!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jetamio Apprentice

I have been having a lot of cravings lately too! I haven't been gluten free very long but lately everything I shouldn't have, looks fantastic. I mistakenly was glutened a couple weeks ago and immediately my DH spot that wasn't healed all the way broke out again. UGH! Can you have some good quality dark chocolate? I'm avoiding soy but do well with small amounts of good chocolate (thank goodness!!) I found a decent gluten free pizza crust mix and I get my fix with that and this "fake" cheese called Daiya. I'm still perfecting that one but it helps.

mamaw Community Regular

Venting is good! Way better than taking off someone's head!

Sometimes out of the blue we all get food deprived or feel food deprived & we react by sadness or anger.. The gluten-free diet is not just a diet but a life style change forever..Not convienent either..

Food deprivation is REAL .. We all need to keep a gluten-free goodie bag in our cars, office, pocket, purse at all times..

When you know events happen at work with sweets, pizza ect.. make something or buy gluten-free & take it to work .so you too have a treat.....Honestly there is very little that can't be made gluten-free these days...

There are allergy free baking sites that have great recipes & bakers/vendors who carry allergy free goodies, no dairy, soy, corn & so on..

Being new to the gluten-free lifestyle can be over-whelming, that is why I tell my gluten-free friends to start out with the natural things they know is gluten-free..ie: naked meats, fish, veggies, & fruits.. After your sure of those then move on to more items.. ANd always learn to be a label reader as some companies change their ingredient list often..to save money..

Get the list of companies that clearly label gluten-free...its a big help for newbies...when in doubt do without until you find out for sure it is gluten-free...when your in a hurry just ask , we can help...

So vent away, anytime we all have been there....

blessings mamaw

sharilee Rookie

Thank you everyone for the support and words of encouragement. I made it through the day. It is nice to know I have a place where people understand.

Archived