This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Getting Worse?

1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Do other people feel like they are getting worse? I cut out gluten a few weeks back and now when I come in contact with it, I can tell my body goes crazy. I don't really think that I was getting worse, so I decided upon the following:

My body had been so overwhelmed that it was constantly reacting to gluten. I felt awful, but there was nothing else, so it was an uncomfortable normal. Now, part of the time I am actually feeling better. My body is well enough to begin to react. I feel it!

Listen to your body. Now just why did I feel glutened after dinner last night?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

josh052980 Enthusiast

Do other people feel like they are getting worse? I cut out gluten a few weeks back and now when I come in contact with it, I can tell my body goes crazy. I don't really think that I was getting worse, so I decided upon the following:

My body had been so overwhelmed that it was constantly reacting to gluten. I felt awful, but there was nothing else, so it was an uncomfortable normal. Now, part of the time I am actually feeling better. My body is well enough to begin to react. I feel it!

If you cut out gluten only a few weeks ago, you're still healing. When I went gluten-free, the first few months were hell. I still felt like I was on the stuff. Even now, after over a year, I will still get seemingly random symptoms. The symptoms you get during a reaction may change too, mine have over time. The key is not to get discouraged. Stick with gluten free, keep a food diary to see if you may possibly have other intolerances and sensitivites (most of us do). The most important thing though is to never think of this as a limitation, but as what you have to do to feel yourself!

sa1937 Community Regular

When we go gluten-free, I think we become even more sensitive to very tiny amounts of gluten. Our bodies can be pretty wonky at first and it seems like we can react to most anything and everything. Are you lactose intolerant? Many of us have to give up dairy products for awhile.

That said...what did you have for dinner last night?

Sassy Cat Newbie

My daughter was recently diagnosed with Celiac. I have found that cross contamination is usually the culprit when she gets sick now. When she feels bad now, her reactions are much more severe than anything she had before going gluten free. Her doctor thought that it was very possible that her healing body would react much stronger than ever before. I am at the point that if I do not make it she is not eating it. I just can not stand seeing her sick because of a decision that I made. The only food that I can be sure of is what I make myself. The items that were made by family have almost always ended up making her sick - even if it is an item that is naturally gluten free. I will take her out to eat (rarely) but only at a very select few restaurants that actually understand celiac. I have found that people understand what is gluten free much easier than anything dealing with cross contamination. Nobody seems to understand how serious is can be if her food comes in contact with any gluten. Our new family motto is - take food with us everywhere!

:P Beef brocolli and wild rice. Maybe it was scientific; I had it again as leftovers for today's lunch. I am okay, so perhaps it was just random symptoms.

I avoid dairy, except for an occasional dab of butter. I try to use olive oil or coconut oil instead.

My doctor said that I will drive my family crazy for 6 months! :huh: I take it that the recovery is slow, and after only 30 years of intense fatigue? :blink:

Yesterday, I thought next year would be 2014. Today I was looking for a gluten cooking class. I thought I saw "Gluten T Ball"! When I looked carefully it said Gillman T Ball. Chalk more up for Gluten withdrawl, and I sure hope this will pass.

sa1937 Community Regular

Diana, was regular soy sauce used in the beef and broccoli?

We can drive our families nuts...as well as our friends. laugh.gif

It sure sounds like you are going through withdrawal.

I used Chinese 5 spice powder to flavor my dish. I used arrowroot starch to thicken it. I have problems with fermentation, so soy sauce has been out for years!It was very simalar to the beef stir fry I read in the recipes yesterday. Yummy :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

My daughter was recently diagnosed with Celiac. I have found that cross contamination is usually the culprit when she gets sick now. When she feels bad now, her reactions are much more severe than anything she had before going gluten free. Her doctor thought that it was very possible that her healing body would react much stronger than ever before. I am at the point that if I do not make it she is not eating it. I just can not stand seeing her sick because of a decision that I made. The only food that I can be sure of is what I make myself. The items that were made by family have almost always ended up making her sick - even if it is an item that is naturally gluten free. I will take her out to eat (rarely) but only at a very select few restaurants that actually understand celiac. I have found that people understand what is gluten free much easier than anything dealing with cross contamination. Nobody seems to understand how serious is can be if her food comes in contact with any gluten. Our new family motto is - take food with us everywhere!

I had a "car oven." It could keep warm one or two servings by plugging into the 9 volt outlet of the car. Mine lasted a year or two. It was 40 dollars.

I have seen advertised a travelbuddy oven. They claim it uses the 9 volt connection of the car and will bake a pie. The cost was around 200 dollars. I sure like the larger capacity and ability to get hotter.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I have also seemed to get sensitive to lower amounts of gluten as time goes on. I've also had problems with some spices. I also can't tell very well if I'm glutened until the day after I eat the contaminated item. You are new to this and it takes awhile to figure it all out. Keeping a food/symptoms journal is very helpful. Good luck.

Archived