This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Where Do I Start?

jgrob3

jgrob3 Newbie

We just got the call this morning that my 11 year old daughters byopsies came back positive. We had prepared oursleves since her blood tests had come back positive also.

Now that it is here though....I am feeling very overwhelemed as to where to even start eliminating the gluten.

We plan to go gluten free as a family. I can't afford to throw an entire pantry of food away though. So, the plan right now is for her to go gluten-free and the rest of us will slowly use up what is left in the house. As that happens we will just incorporate more gluten-free things into our diets as well.

My daughters health it top priority. At the same time I am so worried about affording the gluten-free life. I was just looking on websites that sell gluten-free things. $10 for a thing of handsoap?!?! I barely pay above $1 for handsoap now with sales and coupons. Toothpaste?!? I barely ever even pay for toothpaste with coupons and sales. How do you do it?!?

I must sound horrible, thinking of the money side of it. SOrry. Like I said, I am just very overwhelmed with it all.

Thank you,

Amanda

Mom to Emilee(11), Liam(8), and Brynn(6)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Welcome to the board!

It seems overwhelming at first, but it is easier than it seems.

There are many mainstream products that suitable even though they do not have "gluten-free" labels.

Hand soap? I use Ivory.

Toothpaste? Crest and Colgate are all gluten-free.

Try these links for useful information:

Unsafe ingredients.

Safe ingredients.

Open Original Shared Link If you don't see "wheat, rye, barley, barley malt, oats" on the labels, its not there, or hidden in "flavors, starches, etc."

I am not a supporter of lists--they are out of date the minute that you print them. Formulas are constantly changing. That is why I like to buy from companies who will label clearly (see the third link above). Always read the label.

melaniesilvers Rookie

I'm just getting started (about 1 week in) to my son's diagnosis. We have chosen to find regular foods that are already gluten free. Fruity pebbles, Yopait yogurt, swave shampoo, swave handsoap (some of the cheapest out there). I'm gradually purchasing those higher end, specifically gluten free products when I'm able. I'm not sure where you live, but we have a grocery store called Ingles. It is very easy to shop there and they have large brown tags on things in their store that is gluten free. I didn't realize until shopping there that the spaghetti sauce we buy (specific varitey of Prego) is gluten free and Betty Crocker cream cheese icing is gluten free too.

mushroom Proficient

Two other places to look are the Newbie 101 link () and the FAQ's at the top of each section of the forum. They contain lots of general information.

MitziG Enthusiast

Actually, Colgate won't guarantee their products are gluten free, wheras Crest does. Technicality, but I am done taking chances!

sa1937 Community Regular

Actually, Colgate won't guarantee their products are gluten free, wheras Crest does. Technicality, but I am done taking chances!

I use Colgate toothpaste and have no problem with it. It's the least of my concerns.

lovegrov Collaborator

As already mentioned, the key is to find products that are just gluten-free anyway and stay away from expensive stuff. Toothpaste is pretty much universally gluten-free (MAYBE one type of Sensodyne isn't). Hand soaps generally are not a problem and you can certainly find a regular one that works.

However, if your family insists on having bread or pasta, it will get pricy, even if you make your own bread. Not sure how much the non-celiac people will appreciate the bread, either.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

clare89 Newbie

We just got the call this morning that my 11 year old daughters byopsies came back positive. We had prepared oursleves since her blood tests had come back positive also.

Now that it is here though....I am feeling very overwhelemed as to where to even start eliminating the gluten.

We plan to go gluten free as a family. I can't afford to throw an entire pantry of food away though. So, the plan right now is for her to go gluten-free and the rest of us will slowly use up what is left in the house. As that happens we will just incorporate more gluten-free things into our diets as well.

My daughters health it top priority. At the same time I am so worried about affording the gluten-free life. I was just looking on websites that sell gluten-free things. $10 for a thing of handsoap?!?! I barely pay above $1 for handsoap now with sales and coupons. Toothpaste?!? I barely ever even pay for toothpaste with coupons and sales. How do you do it?!?

I must sound horrible, thinking of the money side of it. SOrry. Like I said, I am just very overwhelmed with it all.

Thank you,

Amanda

Mom to Emilee(11), Liam(8), and Brynn(6)

i have found the same that the products are very expencive and very limited but i read the lables and most mainstreme pruduct are gluton free but i was looking at back of a veg pack today and said may contain gluton and wheat due to manafaction which i thought was hard to believe but my son has been on his diet for a week and just getting used to product he can have but i hadnt thought of soaps, tooth paste ect so even though it may be very timely check lables but can save money rather than buying specail products

Archived