Nen

Vitamin Deficiency Testing Question

Rate this topic

I am wondering, do I have to stop taking all vitamins for a time before I test for vitamin deficiency, or does it not matter? I wouldn't want to give false reading due to taking a multivitamin. Or will it show if I am deficient regardless of the multivitamin I am taking?

ETA: I also am taking about 1000 IU vitamin D a day too.

The way I look at this is that if you test out just fine, then keep on taking the multivitamin because it must be doing the trick. You only need to be concerned if you're taking megadoses of certain vitamins. Celebrate the fact that all you may need to do to keep your vitamin levels up is to take a daily multivitamin. Of course, if you're low in a particular vitamin or mineral, you can supplement for a while and get retested.

The way I look at this is that if you test out just fine, then keep on taking the multivitamin because it must be doing the trick. You only need to be concerned if you're taking megadoses of certain vitamins. Celebrate the fact that all you may need to do to keep your vitamin levels up is to take a daily multivitamin. Of course, if you're low in a particular vitamin or mineral, you can supplement for a while and get retested.

Good point, I just didn't know if taking a multivitamin would mess up test results somehow, but that wouldn't make sense that it would, you know like going off gluten before taking the gluten test can mess up the results.

Good point, I just didn't know if taking a multivitamin would mess up test results somehow, but that wouldn't make sense that it would, you know like going off gluten before taking the gluten test can mess up the results.

I was also wondering the same thing. I thought for sure my vitamen B12 and Feratin would be low but they werent. However I had already started a liquid multi vitamen and thought it was possible that it messed with the results. Any thouhgts?

I was also wondering the same thing. I thought for sure my vitamen B12 and Feratin would be low but they werent. However I had already started a liquid multi vitamen and thought it was possible that it messed with the results. Any thouhgts?

I don't know about anything else, but I have read that taking B12 orally, you should stop several days before testing, and if by injection, should test right before next shot is to be given.