This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gastroenterologist Said Something Confusing Yesterday..

amberlink09

amberlink09 Apprentice

Hey guys,

So, I was diagnosed Celiac 3 years ago by endoscopy but I've never received any relief from my symptoms (and yes, I am positive I haven't been eating gluten). I started the Paleo diet 9 months ago and everything was great for 4-5 months and then one day it just stopped working. When my Celiac problems first started about 10 years ago, it was always diarrhea, but after a few years it became constipation, now I've been back to the diarrhea stage for about 4 months.

Yesterday, I went to my gastroenterologist because I'm so fed up I don't know what to do anymore, and I was thinking it was time to have another endoscopy to see if I've healed at all, but he told me that people with Celiac often get autoimmune disorders in their large intestine so my problem is a large intestine problem, rather than small intestine like Celiac. I've never heard of this before so I was surprised. He gave me Lialda and said that if it doesn't work within two weeks they are giving me a colonoscopy.

Here's what I've tried before:

Xifaxan

Low dose anti-depressants for the pain

Low dose intestinal muscle relaxants

Fiber

FODMAPs elimination

Barium X-ray with no findings

Tested for food and airborne allergies- no results.

I also have extreme bloating which annoys me more than anything.

I'm just so tired, Celiac was supposed to be the answer to my problems but nothing has changed, so I feel like it makes more sense to look at my small intestine before assuming it's something else.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

" gastroenterologist said something confusing". This is a class they take in Med School. :D

He should look at the small intestine while he's got you cleaned out and knocked out. Take at least 6-8 biopsies while he's there. I think he should look at the other end, too.

Check out #8. & copy for doc. You can find similar info on Univ of Chicago Celiac ct site, too

Open Original Shared Link

cyberprof Enthusiast

Amberlink, I hope you get some relief soon.

Microscopic colitis is a large-intestine disease that is possibly related to or caused by celiac, according to my GI. When I had my routine age 50+ colonoscopy, she specifically biopsied for it, even though I have minimal celiac symptoms now that I'm gluten free (only when glutened).

Ulcerative colitis and celiac can also happen together...not sure if there's a cause/effect thing there but certainly anyone could end up with both celiac and UC at once.

Crohns is another separate disese of the large intestine, and can also coexist with celiac.

So, yes, you should try the med the doc proscribed and then if it's not better, a colonoscopy would seem to be a likely step. All of the above can cause celiac-like symptoms.

Edited to add: Looks like Ulcerative colitis can also be linked to celiace (not a big surprise). Open Original Shared Link This entry gives some ideas on what your problem might be based on symptoms. And yes, he should do an endoscopy w/biopsies while you're undergoing the colonoscopy - very easy to do both, since both require the same drugs and colonoscopy prep covers everything needed for endoscopy prep for the patient.

amberlink09 Apprentice

Thanks guys! If I do the colonoscopy I will definitely push for the endoscopy too, I'd feel better having all my bases covered. Hopefully the medicine will work, and I won't have to deal with any of it! Also, thanks so much Cyberprof, I did some research on the microscopic colitis so now what my GI said makes sense. That must be what he was thinking since he told me we need to take biopsies of the colon and large intestine. We had done a barium X-ray to test for Chron's and Colitis but everything came back fine, so I was surprised he still thought it was something wrong with my large intestine.

cahill Collaborator

Thanks guys! If I do the colonoscopy I will definitely push for the endoscopy too, I'd feel better having all my bases covered. Hopefully the medicine will work, and I won't have to deal with any of it! Also, thanks so much Cyberprof, I did some research on the microscopic colitis so now what my GI said makes sense. That must be what he was thinking since he told me we need to take biopsies of the colon and large intestine. We had done a barium X-ray to test for Chron's and Colitis but everything came back fine, so I was surprised he still thought it was something wrong with my large intestine.

My GI said as a celiac I was at risk microscopic colitis .

I have had the colonscopy and the biopsies done.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Amberlink,

Some of us develop additional food intolerances after going gluten-free. Lactose, casein, nightshades, soy, etc etc can all cause GI and other symptoms. So that's something to check on. There aren't manyhtest for food intolerances though, an elimination diet is the way to go.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I was biopsied for microscopic colitis myself. I had problems getting relief too, until I kept a detailed food journal, ate unprocessed foods, and kept track of where each food came from as well as what it was. It was difficult, but the results are worth it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com:
    Donate

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17-M):

• Recent Activity

1. - plumbago replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

2. - trents replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

3. - Suzi374 replied to Suzi374's topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

4. - Suzi374 posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Lots of tests

5. - Peace lily posted a topic in Celiac Disease Pre-Diagnosis, Testing & Symptoms

Would like to gain weight

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online (within 30 mins)

NYKaren
    Newest Member
    NYKaren
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
      1m

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A22):

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A21):

• Upcoming Events

• plumbago
      I'm also a nurse, but one who has worked in chronic care, and to some extent, it is more satisfying to see patients through to a diagnosis (as opposed to working in the ED), but an accurate diagnosis does not occur not as often as it should! Your posting presents a lot of information. But a couple of things I can respond to. One, celiac disease is diagnosed by endoscopy and biopsy of the duodenum. So, pathology will need to weigh in. It's not diagnosed on gastroscopy. (At least, not as far as I know). Two, did you get blood tests for celiac disease? You will need to be eating gluten in order for those to be accurate. Three, where was the CT angiogram (of what)? I could go on and on, but thought I'd start there.
    • trents
      Was a biopsy done when you had your gastroscopy? Concerning your anemia, are you B12 deficient? It's nearly impossible to get sufficient B12 if you are a vegetarian unless you take supplements.
    • Suzi374
      And I’m anaemic, however I’m also female and vegetarian. I had an iron trans a couple of years ago however it’s starting to dwindle and taking supplements doesn’t seem to work. I can’t seem to absorb it. 
    • Suzi374
      Hi, I attended a neurologist appt last Tuesday, which I nearly cancelled, due to ongoing numbness and tingling in toes to mid foot. One of the first things he asked was ‘are you celiac’. I’m not. He thought all reflexes were ok but at the last minute decided on nerve conduction tests which were low normal. He was a little confused as he felt they should be better and tried a new set of probs, all the time, giving me multiple shocks which were not enjoyable lol. Anyway, he’s now ordered tests for myeloma, and all the vitaminy things that so many of you mention on here, also tests looking for autoimmune responses. I already have Hashimotos. Interestingly, to me, but maybe someone out there can relate or knows more than i do, although I was a nurse, but ED not ‘weird symptoms’  nurse. Anyway back to the interesting thing, I took duramine in 2013 to lose weight which caused a massive panic attack when I stopped taking it and half my hair fell out. I only took it for a week but it was horrible and I regret it. It triggered ongoing panic attacks which are horrendous. So I feel like I’m a bit crazy. Then in 2020 I had this sudden onset of horrible pain when trying to eat a cinnamon roll. It continued and I lost around 20 kgs. I had two gastroscopes and a colonoscopy and they were all normal. I scored a barium swallow and CT angiogram. All normal. The pain subsided a little but I was left with reflux and an awful feeling that I couldn’t get air when I ate some foods. This was not anxiety.  The anxiety was separate and I still maintain this. This was something to do with eating. It was like the air was thick but I wasn’t short of breath. I just had the sensation I was, then it triggered anxiety. Anyway, I had other weird things- couldn’t bend knees to shave legs in shower lol. Knees felt stiff and swollen but they weren’t. Knee WOUld swell up randomly but mri showed minimal issues. A bit of a meniscus degeneration but insignificant. Then the buzzing sensations in my head, the feeling like someone was stabbing me with something sharp. So now, I pre empted his tests, although I don’t think I’m celiac because it should have come up on gastroscopy, I’ve gone off gluten. Since Tuesday last week so 9 days. Since then I don’t appear to be as constipated, I realised I got through today without a nap and I’m not tired, maybe it’s just today and not related but I get very tired normally and sleep straight after work often, I can bend my knees and shave my legs lol, the buzzing vibrating has gone from my head, I had to call and ambulance as my heart decided we were off on a run, but we weren’t running and I’ve been a bit twitchy at bed time when trying to sleep, reflux is improving, I did get the weird suffocating feeling a bit when eating today but not as bad normall. Tingling and numbness still present and I felt like it moved up my legs a bit today but I’m a bit jittery. So I don’t know if it’s celiac disease or a gluten intolerance but I think, and it may be wishful thinking because my symptoms do make life a bit challenging, but maybe I’m feeling better. I don’t feel as cloudy. My thinking feels crisper. Like there’s no buzzing and I’m not fighting to break through the cloudiness now. I hope so much that this may help me feel a bit better moving forward. It would be a miracle as I really have struggled to work and parent and keep the house clean and I’m always anxious and exhausted.  If you get this far, please tell me if you you can relate to any of the above. Oh and tonsils out 5 years ago but before that antibiotics multiple times a year, sometimes intramuscular because they were so bad.  Op was meant to take 30 mins, it took 1.5 hours due to size of them. 
    • Peace lily
      Im still not gaining weight I’m on a gluten free diet . And still having issues with constapation started priobiocs figured it would help been over two weeks . I guess it’s going to be a long road for me .