This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hypothyroid

Lisa

Lisa Mentor

Would you mind sharing what your symptoms were and how you discovered you were hypothyroid?

I'm having some very distinctive issues. <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

What are your issues Lisa? My hubs is hypothyroid.

Lisa Mentor

What are your issues Lisa? My hubs is hypothyroid.

High cholesterol

High blood pressure

Eye pressure

Numbness and tingling of legs and feet (PN) - most concerning

An odd trickle down my throat where my thyroid is located.

I've added some B vitamins and see no improvement. I do have a family history of heart disease. So I need to address the cause asap.

I can go in Monday for a blood test, but want to make sure I bark up the right tree. B)

Alwayssomething Contributor

These were my most obvious, but after being on meds, I realize I had many more.

My hair was falling out in huge handfuls (luckily I have thick hair).

Weird ridges in my finger nails.

Exhaustion.

But my problem was not resolved until I broke out with DH and since mine isn't your "typical" rash the allergist I was sent to suspected thyroid and tested my antibodies.

squirmingitch Veteran

My hubs symptoms were:

irritability

foggy thinking

dry, brittle hair

ridges in nails

cold fingers & numbness in fingers

Muscle weakness & aches

sluggishness/ extreme fatigue

Open Original Shared Link

And you may want to take this quizz:

Open Original Shared Link

beachbirdie Contributor

Would you mind sharing what your symptoms were and how you discovered you were hypothyroid?

I'm having some very distinctive issues. <_<

Hair loss

Fatigue-bone crushing fatigue, not just transient tiredness

Panic attacks

Heart Palpitations

very low resting heart rate (50s and 60s, and NOT a conditioned athlete)

High cholesterol

High blood pressure

Edema (generalized throughout body)

Headaches

"Brain Fog" (foggy thinking, difficulty concentrating)

Depression

Super heavy periods

Nail ridges

Strange buzzy-tickly sensation in neck/throat, could not stand to have anything touch my neck, even bedsheets at night

Hair-trigger temper

Elevated liver enzymes

And of course greater difficulty with weight

Lisa Mentor

Thank you for your replies. :) This is something that I need to address....one tree at a time. :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

I would mention that so many ppl think that you have to be overweight to be hypothyroid --- this is not true. Thin ppl can be hypothyroid as easily as overweight ppl. Just like we always get mad b/c docs think if you're overweight then you can't possibly be celiac & we know that is a falsehood.

My hubs has always been slim & remains so. Nothing about his weight changed before hypothyroid or after going on the meds.

Lisa, I failed to answer your question fully. What the pervasive symptom that alerted us to his thyroid was the fatigue just as beachbirdie described hers.

MaryJones2 Enthusiast

Lisa for me the obvious ones were weight gain (even though I was generally in the normal to underweight category), high cholesterol, dry skin/hair, hair falling out, extreme fatigue and 'brain fog' plus a lot of the other symptoms on the list. I found out right about the time I was diagnosed with celiac so the brain fog and fatigue might not necessarily been my thyroid. It was my rising TSH level and cholesterol that made it easy. I don't think my TSH was ever above 3.9 which is normal by the lab range so it took a progressive endocrinologist to diagnose. My primary physician said I didn't have hypothyroidism.

Lisa Mentor

Lisa for me the obvious ones were weight gain (even though I was generally in the normal to underweight category), high cholesterol, dry skin/hair, hair falling out, extreme fatigue and 'brain fog' plus a lot of the other symptoms on the list. I found out right about the time I was diagnosed with celiac so the brain fog and fatigue might not necessarily been my thyroid. It was my rising TSH level and cholesterol that made it easy. I don't think my TSH was ever above 3.9 which is normal by the lab range so it took a progressive endocrinologist to diagnose. My primary physician said I didn't have hypothyroidism.

Thanks Janet for that. My PCP is a close friend so I can so I can boss him around, a bit.

Lisa Mentor

Lisa, I failed to answer your question fully. What the pervasive symptom that alerted us to his thyroid was the fatigue just as beachbirdie described hers.

Thank you for your reply. Other than chasing a 2 1/2 year old, my fatigue is normal for a 57 year old "Nana". I'm 5'8" or maybe a 1/2" less and weigh accordingly.

Now the "hair trigger" temper...I have a witness. :lol::P

Lisa Mentor

Hair loss

Fatigue-bone crushing fatigue, not just transient tiredness

Panic attacks

Heart Palpitations

very low resting heart rate (50s and 60s, and NOT a conditioned athlete)

High cholesterol

High blood pressure

Edema (generalized throughout body)

Headaches

"Brain Fog" (foggy thinking, difficulty concentrating)

Depression

Super heavy periods

Nail ridges

Strange buzzy-tickly sensation in neck/throat, could not stand to have anything touch my neck, even bedsheets at night

Hair-trigger temper

Elevated liver enzymes

And of course greater difficulty with weight

Now, we're gettin' close. Thank you for your time. :)

sharilee Rookie

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid in 2004, discovered during testing for infertility. My main symptoms were dry brittle hair, dry skin and fatigue.

KMMO320 Contributor

I was.diagnosed hypo 13 years ago. My only.symptom thar I noticed.was a goiter. i had just had my daughter and in one month I had her, was hospitalized with a horrible UTI then had my gall bladdrr.removed and then developed a goiter. Since then, when my meds are off (like now) I get tired, foggy headed, gain weight and I am freezing all the time. Also, my 13yo and my 11yo have been diagnosed.HYPO even though they are underweight for their ages.

Lisa Mentor

Thanks for all your replies. :D I'll be checking with the Doc next week to discuss some things.

beachbirdie Contributor

Thanks for all your replies. :D I'll be checking with the Doc next week to discuss some things.

Good luck!

Archived