toriabd

All The Symptoms But Blood Tests Negative

Rate this topic

Hi, everyone. New here and looking for some help in understanding the blood tests I just had done. The results are as follows:

IGA Celiac: 84 (68-359 reference range)

TTG IgA: 3.2 (<=19.9 reference range)

Gliadin Pep IgA: 2.0 (<=19.9 reference range)

Gliadin Pep IgG: 8.8 (<=19.9 reference range)

EMA IgA: Negative

Is there any other blood test that you would recommend? Is it worth doing a biopsy? My symptoms are as follows:

Bloating, nausea, gas, diarrhea,constipation, painful stomach cramps, severe hunger pains, low body weight and difficulty gaining weight, fatigue, anxiety and depression. Most recently I have also been experiencing difficulty concentrating and "finding the right words" etc

Thank you so much!

If your doc is willing to do an endoscopy and you can afford it, I would. 30% of celiacs will have negative bloodwork.

Just be sure he takes enough samples and from the right area- agree to it BEFORE you go under. Too many people go in for endo and the doc thinks he identifies the problem as something else so doesn't bother to take biopsies!

If that is negative, consider yourself NCGI and go gluten-free anyway!

If your doc is willing to do an endoscopy and you can afford it, I would. 30% of celiacs will have negative bloodwork.

Just be sure he takes enough samples and from the right area- agree to it BEFORE you go under. Too many people go in for endo and the doc thinks he identifies the problem as something else so doesn't bother to take biopsies!

If that is negative, consider yourself NCGI and go gluten-free anyway!

very true. I had negative blood work, but I am IgA deficient and they only tested using tests that look for IgA and I had the Endo (at 1000 out of pocket from me) only to have the Dr take TWO samples for biopsy and basically tell me that ulcers were my problem..only, I didnt go to her for stomach problems, I went to her for the head issues I was having. @@

Push for an endoscope. I tested negative in my blood work like you, but when scoped had severe damage easily visible to the naked eye. Request several samples be taken. 20-30% of us test negative. Something is causing your symptoms. Ask for the scope to rule things out?

Start taking probiotics too, if you aren't currently taking them. A bacterial overgrowth can give Celiac-like sypmtoms, and probiotics help balance your system.

Gluten might not be your problem. Other common allergens include casein, nuts, and soy.

your total IgA is lowish, and the IgA based tests of course require presence of IgA. So your IgA type tests really are a bit higher.

I see you have not 0 on any of the tests.

Worth a biopsy anyway (with several specimens)